2003 Mercruiser Engine Model Question 5.7L B3 and Mcgard stern drive lock problem...

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I bought a Vista 268 with locked up engine. Ingested water somehow. I need to replace the engine, which I am ready to do. Engine question is, on the side sticker of the air cleaner cover where it lists the Engine s/n, Transon s/n, and Drive s/n and the general specs my engine s/n is OM630863. Then I noticed on the rear of the same air cleaner cover is a black sticker that says the Engine s/n is OM636699. This sticker also references the engine family and says meet Calif emmissions standards.

Which is the correct engine s/n? Why 2 different s/n's on the same air cleaner cover?

Next problem is, when the original owner bought it new, he had a Mcgard stern drive lock installed on the middle stud. Before I get a cutoff wheel started spinning and cutting, any insight on a better way to remove the lock?

Thanks and I hope someone has the answers.

johnhenry3

Cadet
Re: 2003 Mercruiser Engine Model Question 5.7L B3 and Mcgard stern drive lock proble

Hello,

Next problem is, when the original owner bought it new, he had a Mcgard stern drive lock installed on the middle stud. Before I get a cutoff wheel started spinning and cutting, any insight on a better way to remove the lock?

I'm assuming the key is lost? Can you obtain the registration card? If so, you could obtain a replacement key from McGard.

The best way to cut it off, imo, would be a small hi speed cutoff wheel (only about 1/8" thick), slicing through the nut over the length...without ever touching the drive...obviously. You will not be able to cut the last 1/8" or so, but now you should be able to easily crack or split the nut (as 90-95% of the nut is cut). You will want to first secure the nut with a vise grip blocked against the drive to keep it from spinning when you are cutting. Wear eye and face protection as well.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2003 Mercruiser Engine Model Question 5.7L B3 and Mcgard stern drive lock proble

I had one key that fit on every one that I ever ran into.