1969 Holiday V stall when accelerating in reverse

Daddoo

Cadet
Ok, I have been reading for hours about lower shift cables and interrupt switches and other things that could cause this problem. I wanted to ask other Starcraft owners if they have any first-hand knowledge on this issue. I have a 1969 Holiday V 18 ft I/O with the MerCruiser 120. It will go into reverse fine, but the second any throttle is applied, it dies. As I understand it, if it was a problem with the shift interrupt, it would die going into reverse, not when the throttle is applied. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Daddoo

Cadet
Re: 1969 Holiday V stall when accelerating in reverse

Anybody have any thoughts on this? What else can I check?

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would watch and see what the interrupt does while someone accelerates into reverse. Chances are the shift cable is stretched out and needs to be replaced. I was having the same issues last year on my boat. After changing the cable, the problem went away. For me it did it in forward

Daddoo

Cadet

I have pasted below 2 pics from the stern. The first is a switch on the starboard side and the second is a switch on the port side. Which one is the interrupt switch?
Starboard switch.JPG
Port switch.JPG

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The 1st is the reverse lock, 'n the 2nd the shift interrupt...

Daddoo

Cadet

So I want to look at the switch on the port side to see what it does when the shifter is put in reverse. I assume I want to watch and make sure the switch isn't staying closed when the throttle is applied in reverse?

Bondo

Staff member

So I want to look at the switch on the port side to see what it does when the shifter is put in reverse. I assume I want to watch and make sure the switch isn't staying closed when the throttle is applied in reverse?

Ayuh,... I'm guessin' it will stick, 'n the cable is causin' it...

replacin' it is the cure...

Daddoo

Cadet

Quick update on this - if you look at the bottom picture I pasted above in post number 4 - we'll call that the port switch, there is a hole that my red box dissects. That holes looks like it used to have a bolt in it. I put a screwdriver in the hole while my friend put it in reverse and added throttle and the cam did not come down and close the switch. We put a new bolt in it and now it works great. I think it might have come out at some point in the past. After all, it is 43 years old.

Thanks for the guidance on where to look.