Let the boating frustration begin....

I recently purchased a 1996 sea ray ski ray with a 5.7 mercruiser 350 mag tournament ski. Boat is in amazing shape but had the engine maintenanced to make sure everything was up to par. One part that was changed was the water pump impeller, and after a test run noticed some leaking going on, so we completely changed the water pump all together. Took the boat out today and immediately the engine temp shot up to 220. water pump was hot and small black pieces were in water hoses and strainer. obviously the water pump wasnt getting water and the impeller got torn up, but what could of cause it? My only two guess's was the the two hoses conected to the water pump were mixed up or the impeller was put in the wrong way:confused:... New to the boat scene so any info on these engines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Let the boating frustration begin....

Start by telling us the leg. Is it an Alpha or Bravo drive? I'll assume Alpha as you really can't put in a Bravo impeller backwards.

Start by telling us the leg. Is it an Alpha or Bravo drive? I'll assume Alpha as you really can't put in a Bravo impeller backwards.

Thats one thing I still have no idea about. How can you tell if it's alpha or bravo?

jthor3277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's probably an Alpha One Gen II. The quickest way to tell the Alpha and the Bravo apart is the fact that the Bravo drive has a rather large access cover on the back part of the Upper Unit. Not to mention the upper gear drive shaft plate pretty much covers the entire top part of the upper as well. And it shouls have Bravo written on the decals if present. Upload a picture if you really want to clarify. Thanks for the post.

heres a couple pics of it.
30rse34.jpg

103e5ux.jpg

when i got home yesterday i pulled the spark plugs and water started pouring out. obviously this is a terrible sign, but is it possible that the water leaked in there after the engine was shut off? because when it was running its didnt hydro lock, i manually shut it off, so im praying the damage that bad. Do you guys know anything i can check too see how bad it really is?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a ski boat, straight inboard, there is no outdrive.

I would bet money you have the inlet and outlet hoses on the raw water pump hooked up backwards.

sea water pump.jpg

It's a ski boat, straight inboard, there is no outdrive.

never said there was.... I'm aware its a direct drive, I'm just trying to figure out what i should be looking for to see how brutal the damage is.

Don S

I edited my other post. have a look.

I edited my other post. have a look.

Thats what i was guessing. I've been looking online to try and see which way they are supposed to be hooked up but can find anything. Im assuming the inlet hose would be on the left and outlet on the right..? The mechanic who put it on hasn't responded to me so no help there. Anything i can check to see if they're on correctly?

Don S

Click on the picture I posted. It shows you where the inlet hose goes.

Click on the picture I posted. It shows you where the inlet hose goes.

Perfect picture! thank you Don! The pumps were on correctly so my only guess is that he had the impeller on backwards which would make sense out of all the sand size black rubber pieces in the strainer and hoses after i pulled them out.

Don S

You can't put the impeller in backwards, but you can get the hoses mixed up if your not careful. Don't ask how I know that.