Engine died and won't start. 5.0 Mercruiser 228

funkymm

Cadet
I own a 1982 Sea Ray SRV197 with a 5.0 Mercruiser 228. Boat had a new starter put on first thing as the starter was shot. After that had no problems with starting. Took it out for it's initial run this afternoon and everything was going fine until I slowed down. When I was throttling down the boat all of a sudden quit and wouldn't restart. Fluid levels were good although it started to make a slight chiping/squealing noise. Now I can barely get her to roll over and it squeals a little when it does. Any advice and where to look first please it would be much appreaciated.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Engine died and won't start. 5.0 Mercruiser 228

Pull your spark plugs and see if you have water in your cylinders. Try turning over with plugs out.

Just a thought.

funkymm

Cadet

Pulled the plugs and it rolled over still a little weak on the start though so I replaced the battery with a new one cause the one in there was fairly old. Didn't see any noticeable water come out. I did use some marvel mystery oil just in case. Rolled it over with the oil in it and let it set for a bit. replaced plugs with new AD Delco recommended plugs and it rolled over and initially acted like it wanted to start. Unfortunately I think I flooded it. Pulled the plugs and there was gas getting to all the cylinders the plugs were wet with fuel. It appears to have spark (Not sure how to test if it is a strong enough spark or not). Any suggestions??

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Look in the sticky's at the top of this form and Don has things to look for to check for spark. Do this then post back with results.

funkymm

Cadet

Well she seems to have spark. Yikes she packs a punch At this point the only thing I can say is that I was running her down the lake at full throttle. I felt a little stutter then she seemed to pick back up. When I went to bring her down slowly I had almost went all the way to neutral or really low speed she just up and died. Like as in engine quit. I thought immediately that I may have sucked water up into the cylinders but when I checked the cylinders (After buying a battery) they didn't show water. The battery that was in there was fairly old and initially I didn't have enough power to turn it over. I bought a new battery and she rolls over fine and there appears to be spark and fuel in in the cylinders but I can't get her to fire. So far I have tried new plugs, battery. Any advice on what to check next would be appreciated or do you all think it is time for a professional boat guy to look at her?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

do you all think it is time for a professional boat guy to look at her?

That would depend on your mechanical skills! If you can change the plugs.....you should be able to get it running.

1st - I would check compresion.... if good.... then do a full tune up... Cap/rotor/points (If you have points) Maybe new plug wirer's

2nd - Change your fuel/water separator and carb fuel filter.... Some sea foam additive in the tank

Then try again!

The people on iboats can get you thru this.

funkymm

Cadet

Ok going to check compression tomorrow what is the psi range the cylinders should be in? Oh and where is the best place to get a manual for this engine?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Look in the sticky's at the top of this forum. Adults only section - Don has alot of trouble shooting in there, also may be able to down load a manual...... If not look online and GET A GENUIN MERCRUSIER MANUAL ONLY....! The others are for knee pads only:facepalm:

PSI range 140 - 150 is good...... 60 to 90 bad..... What you are looking for is all of your cylinders to have the same PSI with-in reason. Also there is a correct... and wrong way to do this... Read up on it....

Let us know your results.

funkymm

Cadet

Well compression checked out as good. Everything seems to be good. Could I be searching in the wrong area for why this thing won't fire up. I heard a chirping sound from the rear of the boat prior to slowing down when I just was about in neutral the boat died. Could this have anything to do with the drive? Would the boat not start if I fried the lower unit??? Just wondering as I haven't checked the gear lube level yet since changeing it earlier this year.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

What was your compression readings? ...... Did ya find a manual?

Next thing i would do is pull the drive unit this order...... Drain the drive gear lube.... check lube for color and metal particals......put it in forward gear and remove your trim cylinders off the drive side only and then remove the 6 bolts holding the drive..... then yank it off

1. This will eliminate... the drive being fried and not letting the motor turn over freely
2. With doing this you can check the bellows for leaks and such.

Next try and start it.....IF IT STARTS DO NOT RUN IT FOR VERY LONG (Min or Two).....IT DOES NOT HAVE COOLING WATER IN THE MOTOR.

Post back results!

Good luck

piorun

Cadet

Check your shift irterupt switch

funkymm

Cadet

Well it ended up being my lower unit. Somehow the fluid ran dry and she seized up. I am guessing that this is my root cause. Time to rebuild the lower unit and while I am at it might as well check everything else out. My question to the group is will there be anything else that may have been damaged due to frying the lower unit?

Bondo

Staff member

Well it ended up being my lower unit. Somehow the fluid ran dry and she seized up. I am guessing that this is my root cause. Time to rebuild the lower unit and while I am at it might as well check everything else out. My question to the group is will there be anything else that may have been damaged due to frying the lower unit?

Ayuh,... No doubt the Upper is smoked too...

Time to think SEI replacement...

funkymm

Cadet

Do I also need to worry about the motor too, Also any suggestions on where to obtain a complete SEI. Thank you for the help on this it is greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Do I also need to worry about the motor too, Also any suggestions on where to obtain a complete SEI. Thank you for the help on this it is greatly appreciated.

Ayuh,... Right here at iboats of course,...

Pull the drive, 'n Try the motor...