Can this be welded? Opinions on damage

chug33

Recruit
Hit someone submerged never saw it, even went back to look still couldnt see anything, pretty bummed as this is the second time i've had to have something repaired and i've barely had it for a month lol. I've had a few co-workers that are master aluminum welders and they say there is not no alloy in the cast aluminum and it wont hold. But I've found one guy that says he can do it and it will, but it'll be a month before he can get to it, or I can just file an insurance claim and have it done right, but who knows how long that will take. I'm just looking for some outsider opinions and suggestions. I need to make a new rod at work before I can even move it, it is dog legged pretty bad and cant get it back in. Will the engine need to be pulled to repair this?

Thanks for any help and I can post more pictures if needed.

2gvofid.jpg

Litigator

Cadet
Re: Can this be welded? Opinions on damage

Well first I hope you didnt hit someONE submerged and more like you hit someTHING. Second there is no file attached to see if it could be repaired. Generally the cast aluminum is very difficult to weld but some boat shops can weld the "skeg" back on. You could always straighten it and get a skeg protector.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would file an insurance claim and do it right.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That is a major load bearing point... Only one way to fix that right... replace it, and no, the engine doesn't need to come out...
And you want it done by an authorized Mercruiser dealer, not a back-yarder/JohnRude dealer :D...

Chris...

chug33

Recruit

Ya it was something, lol wouldn't let me edit. Alright, that's all I needed to know thanks for the information guys. I will file a claim today, it's what I pay the premium for.

chug33

Recruit

I've been looking and looking and cant find the actual name of the part that I need, gimbal housing? Idk. It's the part that swivals and the gimbal bearing is inside. If I remove the lower unit, this can be replaced without pulling the entire transom plate. Thanks for the help

Deese566

Cadet

Hey buddy , thats what is called the gimbal ring , an no i dont think i would weld that. Im sure there are some that say they can but i agree with ACHRIS , this part carries a huge load. And ins will cover to have it replaced. Its not the easiest repaire by no means but it is quite common. Ask some of the marine techs in your area if they have ever replaced a gimbal ring an the one that says 3 or more ,pick him to do it. Good luck

chug33

Recruit

Well I found a master at his craft lol, and hes done 10+ repairs just like this, i'm real nervous about him burning a hole in the bellow but he didnt seem concerned. Should be back on the water this memorial day(crosses fingers)(knocks on wood) lol. Thanks everyone for the help, my ins policy for my boat is still in underwriting so its been a big mess with them(state farm) If it breaks and comes off agian, hopefully it will just take the entire boat with it.

chug33

Recruit

Well it's been completly fixed and water tested, and he did an absolutely amazing job, cant even tell where the weld is, and it was $180. I'm happy to be back in the water so soon.