4.3 Alternator Wire Identification Help Needed!

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice
I was getting the boat ready for our maiden voyage of the year and noticed a purple/yellow wire with a small rubber boot not connected to the alternator. Any idea what it goes to? I have 2003 Glaston sx 195 with the carb 4.3 Mercruiser.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 Alternator Wire Identification Help Needed!

Is there an opposing purple or black wire coming off of your alternator that has nothing hooked to it?

Are there ANY wires coming off of your alternator that don't have something hooked to it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know of any purple/yellow wires going to the alternator. Now, if you meant starter, they do have a purple/yellow wire for operating the electric fuel pump while cranking.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

I'll take a picture when I get home.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

A "3 wire" alternator which you most likely have will have in all reality 4 wires attached to it:

- Black ground wire which attaches to the body of the alternator
- Orange wire which attaches to the charging post
- Smaller red wire which connects via bullet connector to opposing red/purple wire
- Smaller purple or black wire which connects via bullet connector to opposing purple wire

Typically, the boat side connections will have the female bullet end with a plastic/rubber insulator over it, with the male side being on the alternator with no insulation over it.

If you can look at your alternator and see all of those wires already hooked up, then that wire doesn't go to the alternator. Also.. Don is right.. it would be a solid purple wire (which in Mercruiser color coding signifies switched ignition 12V+) going to the alternator, not purple/yellow.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

DUH!!! It is at the starter...my bad! Purple with yellow tracer and it appears to go the the carb. Electric choke?

Don S

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Wiring.jpg
    Fuel Pump Wiring.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 8

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

It's been starting fine....I wonder if I should hook it up....

Thanks again Don!!!!

Don S

Yes, hook it up. It will start fine until the first time the carb is empty and it won't fill up while cranking because it's not hooked up.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

So the saga continues. The starter that is installed has no "R" terminal. I am assuming that is where the puple/yellow wire connect to? I am assuming that is why it was not hooked up.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What terminals does it have?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

To my knowledge, the purple/yellow delivers +12 volts to the pump whilst cranking. I believe it is to be hooked up with the same wire that energizes the solenoid. Yellow red i believe. Don S or Achris will confirm if i am right or misguided! Strike all this! That is for a Three wire oil pressure switch. With a two wire and one terminal on the starter, the starter would operate when key was in run position. If purple/yellow was connected to yellow/red. (A relay is required to do it properly)

Don S

So the saga continues. The starter that is installed has no "R" terminal. I am assuming that is where the puple/yellow wire connect to? I am assuming that is why it was not hooked up.

Automotive starters don't have that terminal, marine starters do. Perhaps a previous owner tried to cheap out and use an automotive starter. If so, it's a real safety (explosion) hazard and should be replaced with a marine starter.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I hooked it up to the one terminal (with yellow/red) and started the boat. Got a electrical motor running sound while the boat was running(sounds like the starter motor) then the motor sound died and then the boat would stop running. Did this several times. I disconneted the purple/yellow wire and the sound went away and the boat kept running. I shut it off and now the starter is dead. I could smell the electrical short. Was the puple/yellow wire making the starter motor keep running. Very odd!

Don S

I could smell the electrical short. Was the puple/yellow wire making the starter motor keep running. Very odd!

Sure it will run the starter. It's not odd at all if you understood what the wire does. Why do you think there was two different terminals. If it only took one terminal, there would be no use for two. :facepalm:

Now you can get a marine starter.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

DOH! :eek:So the purple/yellow wire is getting power from somewhere else?

Don S

Yes, throught the oil pressure switch. Look at the wiring diagram above.

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

Crap...missed that! I never claimed to be an electrical expert :D. So the solenoid just completed the circut while trying to start the motor?

uncwgrad1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don! I will replace starter (with a marine one ;)) and use both terminals :D