mercruiser starter mounting bolt broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwagner1

Recruit
Anyone know of any "tricks" in getting out a broken starter mounting bolt. I have a 1988 Mercruiser 3.0L that i had a new starter installed in back in May. I broke down a week ago out on the water only to find the mouting bolt laying below the motor - it was roken right at where the threads begin. So that piece remains up in the motor. My mechanic has tried reverse thread bits with no success and now we need to pull the motor.<br />Before we pull the motor i figured i'd see if you guys have any "tricks" for getting the broken piece out.<br />Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser starter mounting bolt broken

Unfortunately,............<br /><br />All of My Tricks,.. Start with "Set the engine on the Bench"................... :(

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can get to the bolt easily I cant believe an easy-out would not work.I dont know what it would cost to pull the motor but you should give it onother try with someone else.What is he going to do different once he pulls the motor?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I agree, as long as you have the room and the patience to drill it right, nothing changes.....Be sure to center & level the initial pilot hole and gradually work your way up in drill size until you are almost at the same diameter as what you are drilling. Pentrant (WD 40) & cutting oil will help. If you can't get a good look though......Pull the motor....JK

Bondo

Staff member

I've Never seen an installation that you can get a Drill,... Anywhere Near Plumb,+ True to the broken Bolt,.........<br />Never,.......<br />Ever......<br /><br />I Hope I'm Wrong,...... But,... I Doubt you can even See if you're centered on the Bolt.........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

easiest way is on a stand, one trick is to drill a small hole in the broken part and tap in a allen wrench into the drilled hole. should come out by hand.the reason it may have broken :hydrolocked engine at some piont,bolt was a touch too long and never tightened enough.bolt was loose/loosened causing the housing to rock.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm w/Bondo. I tried everything. Finally took it in to have motor removed.

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about if you spray the bolt with PB'laster a couple of times for a day (allowing it to penetrate and give it a try.If you have trouble seeing the bolt try finding one of those mirrors they use for automotive hard to look at's.(They are telescopic) If you cant get a standard drill to fit how about an angle drill.A friend in the plumbing business would be a great place to get your hands on one.If you can't there are also angle drill attachments.You can buy a (no name)one for about $20.00.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Bondo,....I had the same situation with my Ford 302, and I was able to do it..... But i've done some bad bolts before....So I know how to get out a bad bolt, I agree the best course of action is to remove the engine and proceed...But ...I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't done it myself......The mini level is a good thing.....And I agree it a'int easy......Patience is the key.....And to save money. And the lack of a good place to pull the engine......Maybe the boat God has smiled upon me and I didn't know :D ....JK

Bondo

Staff member

Ford starter bolts run Horizonally,...........<br /><br />Chevy bolts run Vertically,.... From the Bottom,...........<br /><br />You guys can Try,.. All the Tricks you can Think of.....<br /><br />I Predict that Either,....<br /> <br />You Give Up,+ Pull the engine(takes Me about a 1/2 Hour),.......<br /><br />Or,... The Bolt Hole ends up So Messed Up,.. You pull the motor to Heli-Coil it................<br /><br /><br />Good Luck either way,...........

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Years back, Merc, OMC, and Volvo had service bulletins about 3.0L starter bolt breakage. Most of the time it was due to not having a bracket on the back of the starter motor (bolted to the block) to keep it from shaking when the engine was running.<br /><br />Unless it is rusted into place, most of the time you can get the broken bolt out by tapping it in a counterclockwise direction to turn it out. I know that is no fun working upside down in a bilge with a mirror and a small ***** punch, but it can be done.<br /><br />In extreme cases, the motor gets pulled and turned on its side to drill out a rusted bolt.

Laddies

Banned

Bondo, this thread sure shows how little some of these guys know! They must have never worked on a GM marine engine, maybe never even seen one.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i just had to pull my 3.0L to replace a stripped drive coupling.. 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back is about right.. another 30 minutes to fit a coupling is also about right for anybody thats interested..<br /><br />took me another hour cos i had to modify mercruisers latest flexy/plate 14 inch flywheel coupling to fit my older smaller 12-3/4 flywheel.. this required the three mounting holes redrilling and the extra length grinding off the ends of the coupling.. a JCB with lifting tackle hanging off its bucket provided the means to lift the engine.. my marina provided the JCB..<br /><br />two bolts at the back.. two bolts at the front (if u leave the front bracket attached to the engine) <br />a few linkages and cables plus exhaust rubber all easy to get at and out it comes.. and it goes back in just as easy..<br /><br />trog100<br /><br />ps.. as for removing the remains of sheared off bolts.. assuming u can get at em.. it all comes down to why they have sheared off in the first place.. if they shear because they have been over-tightened when the head comes off the pressure is removed and they come out easy..<br /><br />if they shear cos they have simply rusted solid after being in place for few years.. they dont come out.. its easier to just redrill and helli-coil.. or tap to the next size up and use a bigger bolt..

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Laddies you are right.A guy down the street has a 3.0.It would be Very hard to do that job without pulling the engine.I dont think your comment about "how little these guys know" was the nicest way to put it but,for me you were correct.I'm just trying to be helpful.From your profile I see you do this for a living.This stuff is your expertise.Maybe you could try to have some patience with guys like us trying to learn how to work on our boats.After all if it wasn't for sites like this you might not ever get a chance to take time off from work.Think about it :p

magster65

Commander

Seen that before.<br />If the bolt is broken flush with the block, get in there with a dremel tool and cut a slot in the bolt, then back it out with a flat blade screwdriver. The threads shouldn't be tight unless they're stretched.

Laddies

Banned

Its not a matter of patience or trying to be a know it all, it's a case of people who don't know asking a quistion hoping to get anwser that will help their problem and not getting good advice, then acting on that advice and getting them selves into a problem. My comment was not made to offened anyone, just asking for people to think about awnsers they are not sure of, I sometime am not sure of awnsers, but at less tell the other person that I am not sure---Bob

whywhyzed

Banned

I've seen guys weld a nut onto a broken bolt with stubby rods and mirrors and all kinds of stuff anything CAN be done, but that 3.0 is a cakewalk to pull in most hulls.. of course I have a shop with an overhead crane at my disposal so I may have rose coloured welding goggles on here...but I did a coupler once on my 3.0, and just pulled the engine forward along 2x4's using a rope w/heater hose to cushion my hand.. it doesn't weigh that much, then you roll it on it's side on a garbage bag, and work on the bolt..

Bondo

Staff member

Well,..........<br /><br />I just happen to have done this very job lately,+ I had the camera out............<br /><br />I had the motor,.. Laying on it's side,.. On the Bench.............<br /><br />With 1, I used an old Welding Trick,.... By using a short piece of Rubber Tubing that Just fits Into the bolt hole,.. I slid a welding rod Thru the tubing,+ Drew an Arc,... Just enough to Heat the broken piece,+ form a puddle for the rod to Weld Too,.......<br />It Worked Perfectly,..........On 1 of the bolts,......<br /><br />
1fixed.jpg
<br /><br /><br />The 1 that Didn't,....... Was because I was using Nylon tubing,... That's why I hi-lighted the Rubber ........<br />Anyway,.. The Nylon couldn't hold the Heat,+ Slag,.. I Really Buggered Up the Bolt,+ the Hole,........On this 1 I used a Die-Grinder to remove all the buggered Weld,+ Exposed the remaining Bolt, as well as cleaning up the Hole so the bolt would come Out............<br />Then I center-Punched it,+ Drilled an 1/8th" hole, All the way Through the broken piece,....<br />Inserted a Snap-On Easy-Out,+ Removed the piece,......<br /><br />
drilledthru.jpg
easyoutin.jpg
done.jpg
<br /><br /><br />As you can see in the pic.s,........<br />Even Center Punching It,.... Working "On the Bench",....... I Missed the Center,..............<br /><br />Now,....... Imagine this Upside-Down with your Head Stuck in the Bilge,.. Reaching Around a motor mount or something,............<br /><br />Ayuh,...... Right,........ Anything IS Possible,......... But................. :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />BTW,..... This 3.0l is sitting in My garage,+ Looking for a New Home.............

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wish I had a dollar for everyone I removed. wish I had another for everymethod I tried:). each one seems to be a bit different. some I can taap with a center punch and back them out some I have a buddy use a special rod made for extracting broken studs(no need for tubing) and others I just haave to drill. make very sure you dont hess up and wallow the hole or it will never hold another long. make sure you use the special knurled bolts from GM.<br /> but I am with the rest. usually attepting to drill upside down will result in a bad block.<br /> I get it all the time, once they break off an easy out or 2 they bring it to me and it copsts 3 times what it would have to start with. but it depends on why it broke and how much rust is in the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.