Mercruiser 470 OD cable adjustment

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class
last year got the new 470 in and still cannot get the F/R cable adjusted properly, even tried it sitting in the water, its either too much or too little there seems to be no sweet spot for Forward and reverse at the same time. and tips? :facepalm:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 470 OD cable adjustment

can be tricky to get it right. did you adjust it according to the merc instructions? is your shift interrupt still connected/working? a bad lower shift cable can make things impossible to adjust correctly. a lot of times people disconnect the SI switch to compensate for a bad cable.

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class

can be tricky to get it right. did you adjust it according to the merc instructions? is your shift interrupt still connected/working? a bad lower shift cable can make things impossible to adjust correctly. a lot of times people disconnect the SI switch to compensate for a bad cable.

i dont understand? dont they either move/function or they are broken? :confused: the DI ids there but not hooked up because my stupid book for this motor/OD doesnt show where to hook it up. it was savaged boat when i got it

nola mike

Vice Admiral

i dont understand? dont they either move/function or they are broken? :confused: the DI ids there but not hooked up because my stupid book for this motor/OD doesnt show where to hook it up. it was savaged boat when i got it

nope. they stick more often than anything. if you disconnect that cable from the linkage, it should move with near zero resistance. seriously. almost nothing. if there is any resistance, you'll never be able to adjust it correctly. do a search for more info. plenty posted. and get a merc manual for your motor. post a year or s/n and someone can point you in the right direction...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nope. they stick more often than anything. if you disconnect that cable from the linkage, it should move with near zero resistance. seriously. almost nothing.

That is also with the drive off. Cable only should have almost no resistance in movement.

What year is your motor, just saying 470 isn't good enough. Is that the actual model number or just a general term for your engine. Serial numbers would be best.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What book are you using?

Here's a video I made of how to adjust the lower shift cable, and check for excess wear and play in the system. I'm going to make a better one today, but in the meantime.... -> http://youtu.be/GrOlKjXz1Gk