Racor w/metal bowl for I/O vs standard filters?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I saw the Racor filter with metal bowl that can be drained for I/Os at West Marine the other day, and wondered if it is really much better than the standard Sierra fuel water seperating filters. These are more expensive ($56 for the filter/bowl, the filter elements are about $26 or so) vs 8 or 9 bucks for the standard Sierra ones. They rated to filter down to 10 microns vs 28 for the standard ones, and you can drain water from the bowl without removing the filter. I have been thinking about trying one of these because there is a lot of concern with water in the fuel because of the ethanol blended fuels being used in some areas now.<br />Any thoughts?

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Racor w/metal bowl for I/O vs standard filters?

The RACOR and DAHL fuel / water sep filters are very well engineered and work extremely well at getting water out of your fuel.<br />They are more expensive than and conventional fuel filter but there is no comparison in quality and engineering. It is the way the fuel passes throught the bottom section that makes these so good at dropping the water and other solids to the bottom of the bowl.<br />Most of these have a clear bowl so you can see if there are any contaminants in the fuel.<br />Regards<br />Peter

Bondo

Staff member

If it makes You feel Better,........... Go For It.....................<br /><br />Personally,...... I use the standard Mercruiser filter housing, with the NAPA filter that fits it..... I have No Idea what it filters down too....<br />NAPA also has a filter with a drian built into it, but it doesn't clear my motor mount,......<br /><br />I can Throw Away Alot of $5.00 filters for the Price of the 1 You want.............. ;)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Don't use the see-thru plastic bowl filter on an inboard or sterndrive application as it is against Federal Regulations. That is also spelled out in the Racor instructions.<br /><br />The approved Racor filters have a UL at the end of their part number and they use the metal bowl with a pipe plug drain.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That's the one (metal bowl) I am thinking of using, what I am wondering is if they do a better job of keeping water out of the fuel system, they seem able to hold a larger quantity of water, and this is becoming a big deal (so I hear) with 10% ethanol in our fuel. Last year when I changed my Sierra filter there was a ring of orange-reddish stuff in the very bottom of the filter. This year and last I have not had any unusual engine performance problems, but I have heard a lot about the water in gas issue being made worse by the ethanol, which supposedly draws moisture out of the air and into the tank. There was a huge thread over at www.noreast.com last summer on this, seemed to affect outboards more than inboards.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have an 1977 350 (since repowered, but same filter) that uses a metal can holding a CG20 Fram filter. I have never had a problem. Any water would fall to the bottom, just like the high buck (but same) filters. Think the filters are $2.99.......did I say never had a problem? I also do my damndest to prevent water intrusion. I use "Waterzorb" and tape off the vent in the winter....

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

About a year ago or so Trailer Boats Magazine had an article and tested different spin-on filters. They said that ALL the filters passed water to the engine when they got full.<br /><br />Racor held about 22 oz. of water before letting it pass, and the best buy was Tempo which held about 18 oz of water.