If upper fails what will it tear up?

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a MC 140 drive I have put on my MC165. the upper gears are visible pitted and rough and is noisy when running on the muffs. I don't want to tear up a good engine or coupler if this drive comes apart on the lake. If the upper tears up that is not so much of a problem as I am looking for a better 165 drive or will get an new SEI upper. Anyone had one tear up and cause other damage to engine or break a coupler?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: If upper fails what will it tear up?

No prob, but if the lower unit is in good shape, you WILL trash it as well. Unless or course you have tools and know how to take apart and hand clean. You cannot just flush and dump, the metal will still be in every tiny place.

Use a synthetic fluid and kepp fingers crossed.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I am going to keep trying to keep old stuff going I probable need to get the tools and know how to take them apart. Or pay the $1500 and get a new SEI upper and lower guaranteed for 3 years and spend more time on the water.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you destroy the upper, the metal fragments WILL end up killing the lower as well... You've committed to buying a new top box anyway, why not spend the money on just the SEI upper NOW and not worry about what damage will be done to anything else? :facepalm:

Chris......