Stops engine on shifting into gear

theboyner

Cadet
Hi Guys.
Had a few problems, replaced heat exchanger after it froze this winter and added a new 4D battery. Now it starts and have run it up to operating temperature several times, runs smoothly. This is an 89 Mercruiser 3.7 L engine in a 22 ft Starcraft. Problem: When i try to shift into gear it shuts down the engine every time...shifter seems quite stiff as well. Comments Please. Thanks TheBoyner

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Stops engine on shifting into gear

Hi Guys.
Had a few problems, replaced heat exchanger after it froze this winter and added a new 4D battery. Now it starts and have run it up to operating temperature several times, runs smoothly. This is an 89 Mercruiser 3.7 L engine in a 22 ft Starcraft. Problem: When i try to shift into gear it shuts down the engine every time...shifter seems quite stiff as well. Comments Please. Thanks TheBoyner

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Ya need a new lower shift cable.....

theboyner

Cadet
Re: Stops engine on shifting into gear

Hi Folks.
An update on an issue recently discussed on the forum, that of the engine shutdown on shifting into gear. I purchased a new lower shifter cable and proceeded to install it, having to remove the lower leg to do so. Found that the shifter control area at the entrance to the bellows was packed with sea salt, cleaned it out,packed it with grease and all seems well. An issue which confuses me is. i don't believe the salt water should be getting into that area as there appears to be a path for it, protected by an O ring. The ring seemed intact but i replaced it anyway. I had run copious amounts of freshwater through the leg when it was running it out of the water so i was surprised to see salt in this area. I am crediting it to the fact that the boat hasen't been in the water for 8 months and will inspect this area again in the fall during what i hope will be proper layup procedures.Thanks TheBoyner