• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Gear Oil coming out of weep hole in lower unit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil coming out of weep hole in lower unit

Just wondering if this is a Seal issue? It started coming out the small hole soon after filling the gear case; normal filling by the bottom drain hole and pumping oil in until it came out of the vent hole.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Mowers - Power Sports - Watercraft - Snow Machines
    http://audiessmallengine.net

Re: Gear Oil coming out of weep hole in lower unit

Hard to say. Drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive and find the leak.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
      Hard to say. Drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive and find the leak.
      Thank you for your knowledge, the customer also wants the impeller replaced (which I have performed on several boats with great success) so that would be a good time to check it over. I have never seen oil come out of that little hole. I have also replaced gears and other components in lower units, but this stumped me.

Comment

Originally posted by ASEAudie View Post
        .... I have also replaced gears and other components in lower units....
        Using the correct shimming tools and procedures according to the manual I hope!
        The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
        2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
        Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
        Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Drive model?
          When will people learn that impellers require regular
          replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
          3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
          OMC Stringer Drive.
          2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Originally posted by ASEAudie View Post
            Just wondering if this is a Seal issue? It started coming out the small hole soon after filling the gear case; normal filling by the bottom drain hole and pumping oil in until it came out of the vent hole.
            Any ideas?
            Thanks
            I've got an Alpha one Gen 2 and mine has a very small leak out the weep hole. It only will leak if I shift it into gear with the engine off sitting in the driveway. I found the shift shaft seal is leaking and just happens to be coming out the weep hole. Take a look at the shift shaft and see if there is oil around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve91T View Post
              I've got an Alpha one Gen 2 and mine has a very small leak out the weep hole. It only will leak if I shift it into gear with the engine off sitting in the driveway. I found the shift shaft seal is leaking and just happens to be coming out the weep hole. Take a look at the shift shaft and see if there is oil around it.
              I haven't even looked at this unit as of yet, been really busy, I am closed on weekends so that I can play catchup if I don't go fishing. I plan on pulling this unit in and locking the doors; at this time I will start eye-balling this thing and hopefully get it figured out, I appreciate the ideas and will respond with what I find.
              Everyone have a great weekend.

Comment

again..... drain and pressure test there is a bad seal somewhere.

Comment

i was just dealing with the same problem after a new impeler install, i replaced both top and bottom water pump halves then replaced the shift shaft bushing.
                  after a pressure test with a little soap i found the lower water pump housing was leaking, this was a new part but i guess these things happen.
                  so i replaced the lower housing again now all is well
                  thanks to all that helped in this post all good tips

Comment

Hey guys, new to the forum board here. I am having a similar if not the same problem here, I just purchased a 1995 Maxum 1800 Ski Boat.
                    Guy I bought it from stated, that he just had it serviced and had a new prop put on it and mechanic stated everything looked great.
                    When I got it home and parked it the next day I noticed a few droplets of greenish oil underneth the outboard prop.
                    Looked at it very close and it seems as if the oil is coming out 1 of the small holes right above the prop.
                    Is there an issue or could this just be where they had just serviced everything.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I am a 1st time boat owner so dont know a whole lot about boats.

Comment

You all have to drop your lowers & check the shift shaft seal. The seal has been the same since 1963 & since '91 been pushed into a plastic bushing. Replacement seals push back out usually. Replace the whole bushing & shaft assembly!

Comment

Hy dymd3z and welcome to iboats forums! I recommend you copy and paste your first post into a new thread started by you. Also provide as much info about your equipment as possible (model numbers, serial numbers, operating history, etc). It will then allow the forum to concentrate on you problem and it wont get lost in the other person's thread (also known as hijacking....pretty crude term, but it is what it is).
                        Best of luck in getting your issue addressed. I'll look for it in the new thread and I am sure you will get the personalized help you need.
                        Also, please go to the top of the mercruiser forum and open the threads called "stickys". They will provide you (as a new boat owner) with a wealth of information and links that you need... particularly you should download copies of the manuals for your engine and outdrive. If you are like me, you wont be disasppointed!

KTB
                        1990 Chaparral 20' w/ 5.0L, Alpha-1

Comment

KB, thank you very much, I made a new thread and I hope I can get someone to help me out. Again thank you very much!
                          Bo

Originally posted by ktbarrentine View Post
                          Hy dymd3z and welcome to iboats forums! I recommend you copy and paste your first post into a new thread started by you. Also provide as much info about your equipment as possible (model numbers, serial numbers, operating history, etc). It will then allow the forum to concentrate on you problem and it wont get lost in the other person's thread (also known as hijacking....pretty crude term, but it is what it is).
                          Best of luck in getting your issue addressed. I'll look for it in the new thread and I am sure you will get the personalized help you need.
                          Also, please go to the top of the mercruiser forum and open the threads called "stickys". They will provide you (as a new boat owner) with a wealth of information and links that you need... particularly you should download copies of the manuals for your engine and outdrive. If you are like me, you wont be disasppointed!

KTB

Comment

I finally got a chance to remove the lower, drained the remaining oil and gave her a little pressurized air into the weep hole and crap came flying out past the shift shaft. All the seals could probably be replaced in this 1972 clunker. Just wondering if I should even attempt any repairs or just call the guy and say the parts are NLA. What do you guys think?

Comment

SEI lower for about $600 is even cheaper than stripping the box and putting new seals in... It's a 'no-brainer' for me...
                              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
                              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
                              Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
                              Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Working...
                              X