Bonito 1986 Summer Rebuild the work in progress.

Rick-101

Seaman Apprentice
This fall, A buddy and I purchased a Benito 1986, 18ft open deck, Mercruiser 140 and Trailor. As two university students on a budget and somewhat mechanically inclined (History and Finance majors), this is our new project.

We payed very little for this boat, planned to get it up and running. The boat has great lines and "will" meat our needs at worst salvage would get us more than our money back.
This is not our first project, last summer we rebuild a Honda atv from the ground up where my buddy was introduced to the world of mechanics. I believe we could now ease become Honda Atv mechanics. If its metric or imperial it can certainly be fixed! All you need is the internet, schematics, time, cheap parts on ebay.

PICTURES will be soon uploaded

Last fall, post purchase we discovered
-battery was dead (but still in store packaging..)
-Impeller would not pump (needed to be replaced found some sand..now replaced)
-Fuel pump was dead (removed and put back o_O?...now replaced)
-Tip of the skeg was broken off (soon to be welded back on..)
-Prop wouldn't turn over in gear
-Hydraulics wouldn't raise or lower (dirty contact and contained dirt and...)
-Bilge pump dead (would help if it was wired...)
-Plugs dead (now replaced)
After some work, she Started ran well and had good compression ish on all four 140psi from memory.

Properly winterized it thanks to forum.

This Spring:
-Frames for most of the benches and upholstery ready to go with some improvement.
-Found broken collar on the horizontal gear, in upper alpha.
-Pulled engine, removed bell/flywheel, core plug had poped out
-Got 6-10 teaspones of metal/rust flaked from the core plug in the water jacket
-Pulled all interior, carpet well a job in itself

Fishermark has informed me that there is a VERY strong chance the block has Freeze damage. How would i be able to determine such a thing?
Were thinking of pressure testing the system...
If the block has to be changed I'm wishfully thinking i can just change the bottom "block" if I manage to find one.
If i need to Frankenstein the block I'm guessing there are problems with swapping pistons...crank...?

As for the gear in the out drive, OEM jobber? the prices seem to vary from $160-240

Thank you all,
I promise pictures will follow soon!

Cowthief

Seaman
Re: Bonito 1986 Summer Rebuild the work in progress.

Got any pics? I'm 2 months into my restore on my 86 bonito also. Mine has a 90hp Johnson tho. Maybe we can share experiences.

Rick-101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bonito 1986 Summer Rebuild the work in progress.

Haha Sure, I just finished exams last week and have been working night and day on it. Engine's back in all i need to do is put the carb back and adjust the timing. Upholstery has been some work, ill post some pictures by the end of the week.