stiff steering on a 1985 260 mercruiser

jcschrimsher

Recruit
I have a 1978 sea ray 240 sedan cabin cruiser with fly bridge with a 1985 260 mercrusier motor. I am having problems with the steering, it is very hard to turn either way. It does not matter if you are trying to steer boat from fly bridge or from below.. I have made sure the hydraulic lines are full of fluid...took the shifting rod to out drive a loose and still tight...attempted to grease and it will not take any more grease, did this on stern and has not help, makes no difference if boat is running ..the power steering does not effect the problem still very difficult to steer. Do you have any thoughts or ideas to what may be my problem and any suggestions ...I will very much appreciate any and all help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: stiff steering on a 1985 260 mercruiser

Welcome aboard...

If you remove the cable from the steering rod and it's still stiff, it's most likely the cable, or (less likely) one of the helm units.

jcschrimsher

Recruit

Thank you for your response...Would you mind telling what is the best way to bleed a hydraulic line..I didn't mention it because I forgot but when I took the line loose to check it there and I heard air come from the line. Again Thank You for responding to my first post!!

achris

If you have hydraulic steering and it's stiff from both stations when not even driving the engine's steering system, then you most likely have a seized ram.

I would start by going to the manufacturers website and reading up on their recommendations on bleeding...

jcschrimsher

Recruit

If you have hydraulic steering and it's stiff from both stations when not even driving the engine's steering system, then you most likely have a seized ram.

I would start by going to the manufacturers website and reading up on their recommendations on bleeding...

Thank you for your quick response...but can you tell me is there any way to free up that ram if it is seized on my own?

achris

Thank you for your quick response...but can you tell me is there any way to free up that ram if it is seized on my own?

Let me get back to you, I'll just gaze into my crystal ball to see what steering system you have and tell you how to fix it... without you telling me even the manufacturer... :facepalm:

Any 'freeing up' will be temporary at best. Just replace the damn thing!

jcschrimsher

Recruit

Let me get back to you, I'll just gaze into my crystal ball to see what steering system you have and tell you how to fix it... without you telling me even the manufacturer... :facepalm:

Any 'freeing up' will be temporary at best. Just replace the damn thing!

Thank You very much achris for all your information you have been very helpful....And since this was a continuous feed I thought I had already told you all the info. but since apparently I didn't .. and you seem to be a VERY busy man I will not be bothering you again...... I will replace the damn thing...just trying to save some money..just had the boot replaced ..my boat started taking on water and I just spent a lot of money having that replaced, and I was told by a friend that this sight could be very helpful...Hope you have smooth sailing and ship ahoy!!!!:):):):)

Pete104

Lieutenant

Either you've got mechanical cable steering or hydraulic!
I'm thinkin' cable. Tele-Flex does still make replacement EVERYTHING for "mechanical" dual station. You will have to replace it all.

Even if you do have "hydraulic" steering, the pumps are old enough & the proportioning valve is old enough to replace it!

GWally

Recruit

Either you've got mechanical cable steering or hydraulic!
I'm thinkin' cable. Tele-Flex does still make replacement EVERYTHING for "mechanical" dual station. You will have to replace it all.

Even if you do have "hydraulic" steering, the pumps are old enough & the proportioning valve is old enough to replace it!

I would have sent a pm but, couldn't find out how. I have just completed redoing my 2 station steering, 79 24' Searay. I ended up with basically everything replaced at the "transom end" before finding that I had a setup that had been converted. The mechanic who did my "rebuild" said that the boat had mechanical steering originally with the power assist, power steering pump, etc.If you need any parts, I have a like new actuating assembly (came from freshwater), a new steering cooler (mine had a pinhole leak and spit ATF out the exhaust when I first tried to make my system work. Mine was totally frozen and I have replaced it with hydraulic steering.
If you haven't gotten it all straightened out, I may be able to help.
I don't know how this forum works but, have enabled the email part.
Let me know if I can help.
Take care and God Bless
Wally

GWally

Recruit

I would have sent a pm but, couldn't find out how. I have just completed redoing my 2 station steering, 79 24' Searay. I ended up with basically everything replaced at the "transom end" before finding that I had a setup that had been converted. The mechanic who did my "rebuild" said that the boat had mechanical steering originally with the power assist, power steering pump, etc.If you need any parts, I have a like new actuating assembly (came from freshwater), a new steering cooler (mine had a pinhole leak and spit ATF out the exhaust when I first tried to make my system work. Mine was totally frozen and I have replaced it with hydraulic steering.
If you haven't gotten it all straightened out, I may be able to help.
I don't know how this forum works but, have enabled the email part.
Let me know if I can help.
Take care and God Bless
Wally

I tried to edit this and it didn't work. Just googled a 79 SeaRay brochure and it says hydraulic steering (looks like my mech was wrong). You are in luck. I was able to replace all the "garbage" associated with the power assisted/hydraulic steering, with one single cylinder. I was told that "back then" there were no hydraulic actuating cylinders for stern drives. The only slight mod I need to do is a bolt that will allow me to mount the cylinder a couple inches higher on the transom to clear the exhaust manifold.