Looking for "new" long block

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
have a MC-1 drive and in need of a long block 5.7 Chevy. I believe it it is a 2bolt 2piece main seal .
There are a lot of vortec motors for sale cheap and wonder if my Edelbrock intake and ignition001.jpg will bolt on to a Vortec Motor???

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Looking for "new" long block

The intake is different... you have 12 mounting bolts that go in at an angle, the votec has only 8 that go in straight.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

have a MC-1 drive and in need of a long block 5.7 Chevy. I believe it it is a 2bolt 2piece main seal .
There are a lot of vortec motors for sale cheap and wonder if my Edelbrock intake and ignitionView attachment 143797 will bolt on to a Vortec Motor???

What happened, wasn't that a recent rebuild?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

'Spray can' rebuild.... Seen plenty of them :rolleyes:

I was trying to be nice and let him say it. :eek: I'm thinking it was a re-man.

Didn't we have a poll going on here somewhere about new verses re-man... :rolleyes:

O/P, sorry for your troubles. I am pretty interested to hear what happened.

Friscoboater

Captain

'Spray can' rebuild.... Seen plenty of them :rolleyes:

It was not a "spray can rebuild" at all, and was custom built per marine specs, and just a little hotter than stock. There are many reasons engine fails, and being a re-man does not mean it is any worse.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It was not a "spray can rebuild" at all, and was custom built per marine specs, and just a little hotter than stock. There are many reasons engine fails, and being a re-man does not mean it is any worse.

If it was a genuine rebuild then fine, but I have seen too many dead engines that the owner tells me, 'It's just been rebuilt', only to find when I tear it down it's still got the original gaskets in place!!!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

If you're able to order it through a marine mechanic shop, check out Flagship Marine Engines. They're the cheapest dealer supplier of crate engines, period. My brand new GM crate 3.0 was $1750 shipped with no core.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Frisco,

I love what you do and have watched most if not all of your video's. Some multiple times.

The re-manufacturing world is a crap-shoot at best. There was nothing "custom" about that build unless I'm thinking of the wrong video. That's why i was poking fun at the poll about new vs re-man.

That long block, if i remember correctly, was just a little over 1k.

For sake of discussion lets say half of that expense was parts and the other half was labor. That's 500.00 labor to completely re-machine an entire engine. Having worked in a fully equipped custom machine shop for a couple years, I can tell you that that is barley enough money to properly rebuild a set of small block cylinder heads if you are putting everything back to spec.

In a volume rebuild shop, which is what city motor supply is, things are likely processed to the high side of spec to eliminate any possibility of an interference. Rod and main clearance will be double factory specs. They reuse most everything. In the small shop i worked in it took a dozen or more rods to find a "set" to reuse.

Maybe this will make sense.
If you took two, of the same type, properly machined to stock spec engines... disassemble them, mix the parts all up and reassemble them, the engines would very likely lock up when run. In a re-man shop all parts will interchange because specs are pushed to the extreme on purpose to allow use of all core parts and virtually eliminate any chance of damage due to improper start up procedures. Clearance wise, they are half way worn out when you start them up.

Very often cranks are welded, bores offset, rod and main caps clipped too much, all kinds of other "tricks" to maximize use of cores.

It doesn't mean they are a bad option, but it is what it is, volume re-manufactured. Remember, they couldn't even spray the orange paint properly. Can you imagine what the clearance specs looked like.

Friscoboater

Captain

Frisco,

I love what you do and have watched most if not all of your video's. Some multiple times.

The re-manufacturing world is a crap-shoot at best. There was nothing "custom" about that build unless I'm thinking of the wrong video. That's why i was poking fun at the poll about new vs re-man.

That long block, if i remember correctly, was just a little over 1k.

For sake of discussion lets say half of that expense was parts and the other half was labor. That's 500.00 labor to completely re-machine an entire engine. Having worked in a fully equipped custom machine shop for a couple years, I can tell you that that is barley enough money to properly rebuild a set of small block cylinder heads if you are putting everything back to spec.

In a volume rebuild shop, which is what city motor supply is, things are likely processed to the high side of spec to eliminate any possibility of an interference. Rod and main clearance will be double factory specs. They reuse most everything. In the small shop i worked in it took a dozen or more rods to find a "set" to reuse.

Maybe this will make sense.
If you took two, of the same type, properly machined to stock spec engines... disassemble them, mix the parts all up and reassemble them, the engines would very likely lock up when run. In a re-man shop all parts will interchange because specs are pushed to the extreme on purpose to allow use of all core parts and virtually eliminate any chance of damage due to improper start up procedures. Clearance wise, they are half way worn out when you start them up.

Very often cranks are welded, bores offset, rod and main caps clipped too much, all kinds of other "tricks" to maximize use of cores.

It doesn't mean they are a bad option, but it is what it is, volume re-manufactured. Remember, they couldn't even spray the orange paint properly. Can you imagine what the clearance specs looked like.

I will have to disagree with you there. City Motor has been in business for a very long time, and they make very respectable race engines here is Dallas. Heck, that is what they are know for, and they have build many engines for me. If they truly had these issues all time, they would not stay open long. And for the record, the engine was closer to 1500 all said and done.

There are details to the story that are not posted here, so lets just let this rest.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Gotta add another + for Rapido.............

I just passed 300hrs. this is my 5th season.

Unless something has changed there I would check Raul out.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

522978_419251464770043_100000555802429_1421942_1702878691_n[1].jpg The motor injested water-most likely failed impeller since exhaust manifolds were hot and had water in all the clys without holes. The Y pipe flappers had turned to mush and fell out the lower drive on removal. I was running about 3200rpm when it puked.I do not think it would suck up water thru the Y pipe while on plane.
Sad part was a new water pump kit was in the garage.:mad:
I do not think it was motor issue at all. Just one of the cheapest maitenance items failed.
I say this all the time at work but have to say it to myself this time;
"It's expensive to be stupid!"

The "NEW MOTOR " is also a Premium Long Block from City Motor Supply in Dallas. This one has Hardened Push Rods & Rockers, Race Bearings , an Elgin E-923-P RV cam. Flat Top Pistons ,Molly Rings ,APR rod bolts , New Head bolts , High Volume oil pump--and the usual Double Roller Timing Chain, Brass Freeze Pugs .
I'm installing new Water Gates in the Y pipes-Ordered Quality Marine Gasket Kit and a oil pan mounted Windage Tray.
It was $1435. + core. a Marine Mechanic friend is helping ( rather I'm the "Helper" ) put it togeather and install.
It will be around 300HP and built for running hard.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

View attachment 147981 The motor injested water-most likely failed impeller since exhaust manifolds were hot and had water in all the clys without holes. The Y pipe flappers had turned to mush and fell out the lower drive on removal. I was running about 3200rpm when it puked.I do not think it would suck up water thru the Y pipe while on plane.
Sad part was a new water pump kit was in the garage.:mad:
I do not think it was motor issue. Just one of the cheapest maitenance items failed.
I say this all the time at work but have to say it to myself this time;
"It's expensive to be stupid!"

The "NEW MOTOR " is also a Premium Long Block from City Motor Supply in Dallas. This one has the Hardened Push Rods & Rockers, Race Bearings , an Elgin E-923-P RV cam. Flat Top Pistons ,Molly Rings ,ARP rod bolts , New Head bolts , High Volume oil pump--and the usual Double Roller Timing Chain, Brass Freeze Pugs .
I'm installing new Water Gates in the Y pipes-Ordered Quality Marine Gasket Kit and a oil pan mounted Windage Tray.
It was $1435. + core. a Marine Mechanic friend is helping ( rather I'm the "Helper" ) put it togeather and install.
It will be around 300HP and built for running hard.

You probably had water in all the other holes cause you crashed a piston thru the water jacket at 3200 rpm. Ive seen it countless times, not in boats. Always a good idea to check the impeller though.

Your might want to add a bigger oil pan to go with that high volume oil pump or you could be pumping the pan dry. Been there done that.

Glad to see it going back together.

Don"t forget to run a flat tappet compatible oil!

Good luck! :)

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will have to disagree with you there. City Motor has been in business for a very long time, and they make very respectable race engines here is Dallas. Heck, that is what they are know for, and they have build many engines for me. If they truly had these issues all time, they would not stay open long. And for the record, the engine was closer to 1500 all said and done.

There are details to the story that are not posted here, so lets just let this rest.

Race engines ??? claimer engines maybe, Lol

Sounds good to me, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. :p;)