no fluid from up trim hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok all I took the boat out for a test run today engine ran great until I went to trim up the outdrive so after heaving the big lady out of the water I checked the lines on the outdrive if i run the drive down i get fluid from the line if I run it up I get nothing and the pump motor runs as if there is no load on it. I took here home and was gonna rebleed it but wasn't sure if that would do any good. So here I am asking should I start pump shopping or is it a fixable issue?

Thanks,
yonu
P.S if anyone is down near fort bragg, nc and knows a thing about outdrives there is a beer or 2 in it for ya

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: no fluid from up trim hose

I had the same thing happen on my lawnmower... I just undid the flex inverter and drained the clutch. I then put an atomiser on the output, switch the input and changeover and reversed the capacitor... Worked a treat.... :D

P.S. You might like to tell us what YOU'RE working on....

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok lol the boat is a 72 fiberform 24ft CC the engine is a 351W and the outdrive is a mercruiser 255 with a trim position sender

hope that helps

Reg

achris

ok lol the boat is a 1972 fiberform 24ft CC the engine is a 351W and the outdrive is a Mercruiser 255 with a trim position sender

hope that helps

Reg

They're the important bits... It doesn't matter what boat it's in... Actually the engine is a 'Mercruiser 255', the drive is (mostly likely) a TR or TRS...

Apart from making sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir :facepalm:, make sure you're not in reverse gear. That model had a reverse lock valve that blocks the fluid while you're in reverse (to stop the drive from 'kicking up'). If that's out of adjustment it will also close... I have attached a trim circuit drawing, hope this helps...

attachment.php

Attachments

• trim circuit.jpg
    trim circuit.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks I will check that tomorrow wasn't sure if it had one or not

Edit: I take it this accounts for the wide open motor sound when hitting compared to down. if that is the prob

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey this helps and makes perfect sense but I have to ask this as I am not sure where exactly to look but where should the reverse lock be?

Thanks,
Reg

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if this helps any I wanted to see for sure what the outdrive was so I went to lookup the serial number it looks like it is a Alpha one but here is a pic witht he serial number

2012-04-06_15-09-23_969.jpg

Reg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take a couple of overall pictures of the drive and the transom sheild, 72 is too old for looking up serial numbers for ID.
Do you have a transmission behind the engine, yet inside the boat?

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is nothing from an automotive standpoint I would consider a transmission but there is something between the engine and outdrive hope these help

2012-04-30_18-09-33_402.jpg2012-04-30_18-09-37_910.jpg2012-04-30_18-09-58_197.jpg2012-04-30_18-10-43_821.jpg2012-04-30_18-10-52_461.jpgok here are some pics including the engine as

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how you came up with the 255 number, but Merc never used the MC-1 drive behind a 351. They used the TRS and a transmission behind the engine. Being a 72, Mercruiser didn't even use a 351, that didn't happen until the following year 73. I would guess your boat started out as a 302 and was an 888, which did use the MC-1 drive.
You do have a transom shield from a MC1 drive, but the drive is a newer R, MR, or Alpha I.

Now, going through all that, HERE is a link to download the service manual that will cover your transom shield and trim system. The drive, since it's newer would be THIS manual. Have no clue on your engine. Looks aftermarket.

achris

Ok... that drive is an Alpha one, bolted to an MC-1 bell-housing, which is strange because Mercruiser never released the 255 with the MC-1 drive, but you have what you have..

The engine is also interesting in that it has centre riser manifolds. The original had end riser (or 'log' style).

The reverse lock valve is on the shift plate at the back of the engine. The 2 shift cables attach to the plate. The pivot point for lever that they move is the valve you're looking for...

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the manuals don I had the first one but not the second the engine is actually the only thing I can work on with no help ;) and I have no idea what the previous owners were thinking

achris thanks that cleared it up as i still wasn't sure where to look after reading that part of the manual.

Thanks,
Reg

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey I need to pick a brain on the reverse lock as best I can tell it is adjusted properly and is working so how can I tell for sure it is isn't the problem?

Thanks,
Reg

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wanted to say thank you for all the help it turns out the whole problem was the pump I picked up a used one from a boat salvage up north and it is working now

Thanks again,
Reg

Status
Not open for further replies.