470 alternator conversion wiring question

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, after a few years of problem free charging- something finally went bad with my 470's notorious charging system. I've got 0 volts coming from either yellow wire so I'm not sure if its the VR or something else. Nonetheless, 3 bolts, 1 bracket, few nuts-washers, belt & a single wire marine alternator from a 165 6 cylinder - I've got it done.

Now, I removed the yellow wires only from the VR. I left the red and orange on there. I put the single wire from the alternator to the main cluster of + wires on my starter solenoid-the post the battery cable connects to. Will this do?

I am getting mixed reports whether I can run like this or if I should disconnect the red & orange wires and connect that to the wire going to the alternator. From the cluster of wires on the starter solenoid, at least one of them connects to the regulator.

I'd be much obliged for any insight.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 470 alternator conversion wiring question

Well, after a few years of problem free charging- something finally went bad with my 470's notorious charging system. I've got 0 volts coming from either yellow wire so I'm not sure if its the VR or something else. Nonetheless, 3 bolts, 1 bracket, few nuts-washers, belt & a single wire marine alternator from a 165 6 cylinder - I've got it done.

Now, I removed the yellow wires only from the VR. I left the red and orange on there. I put the single wire from the alternator to the main cluster of + wires on my starter solenoid-the post the battery cable connects to. Will this do?

I am getting mixed reports whether I can run like this or if I should disconnect the red & orange wires and connect that to the wire going to the alternator. From the cluster of wires on the starter solenoid, at least one of them connects to the regulator.

I'd be much obliged for any insight.

no your ok when i converted i only snipped the yellow wires that went to stator and it ran well

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. After reading your post I decided to give her a test run and I got 13.37 volts steady at low RPM. Back to night fishing on Friday nights now :)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You can remove all of the wires from the VR, and fold back and tape the ends of the stator wires.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can remove all of the wires from the VR, and fold back and tape the ends of the stator wires.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on removing the stator all together this evening. The VR will stay in place until I have time to mess with removing it and putting a tube in place to connect the cooling lines.

I'm just glad I've got volts again:D

Thanks again for the help and info

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on removing the stator all together this evening. The VR will stay in place until I have time to mess with removing it and putting a tube in place to connect the cooling lines.

I'm just glad I've got volts again:D

Thanks again for the help and info

if you look closely enough at the volt reg when you remove it you can actually see how to remove the copper tube that's what i used and it works great. that is one option but you can find all kinds of tubes to use just make sure it can withstand the heat

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I just used heater hose, no splices or additional connection to leak.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

. The VR will stay in place until I have time to mess with removing it and putting a tube in place to connect the cooling lines.
To tell you the truth, I would not (did not LOL) bother. It is just a straight through tube, so there is no advantage to removing, and the VR holds the hose in place quite nicely. IMHO;)