Engine Swap : Fuel injection or carb?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1997 5.7 engine with roller cams and vortec heads, I have a cast iron 8 bolt intake manifold with an Edelbrock carb. mechanical fuel pump. I found a boat with a cracked block for sale. 1999 sea 210. has a 5.7 merc. with fuel injection. which way should I go......swap carb set up for fuel injection? Is this feasable? could I do it the other way....keep carb set up? Will there be wiring harness issues or other issues I dont know to ask about?

thanks

Ed

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine Swap : Fuel injection or carb?

I have a 1997 5.7 engine with roller cams and vortec heads, I have a cast iron 8 bolt intake manifold with an Edelbrock carb. mechanical fuel pump. I found a boat with a cracked block for sale. 1999 sea 210. has a 5.7 merc. with fuel injection. which way should I go......swap carb set up for fuel injection? Is this feasable? could I do it the other way....keep carb set up? Will there be wiring harness issues or other issues I dont know to ask about?

thanks

Ed

Ayuh,.... You can go either way ya want,...

The Efi motor needs it's own wirin' harness, as does a carbed motor....

Yer talkin' fully dressed bobtail motors, Right,..??

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo, thanks for the info:

yes, the sea ray has the engine still installed with all hookups. my engine has everything attached with wiring harness, carb, manifold etc. (even manifolds). I kinda hate to take apart my new Edelbrock carb, manifold etc. but if efi is a big plus, then maybe that is the way to go.

Do you have an opinion on the benefits of efi vs. carb?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like a carb better as there is less bs to go wrong... no sensors and what not. But you will get people say efi is easier to start, is more efficient, etc... So it's whatever you want and whatever you are more comfortable with.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for your advice. I wonder if there would be wiring issues using my carb set up and wiring harness on a boat set up for efi?

Pete104

Lieutenant

The "main harness" (engine to dash) will be the same. There may be some gotch ya's but nothing serious!

Make sure the EFI engine runs before you get everything in a couple baskets!

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

yes, I have a couple of those baskets now. Need an alpha 1 outdrive? log type exhaust manifolds, rochester carb etc. etc. etc. !!!

thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner

I prefer EFI. Yes there are sensors, but these things have made vehicles more reliable, not less.

TilliamWe

Banned

thanks for your advice. I wonder if there would be wiring issues using my carb set up and wiring harness on a boat set up for efi?

NOPE. Plug and play baby. You have the EASIEST switch to Fuel Injection ahead of you. Do it! You won't be sorry.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well due to the vintage.. going efi may be a total can of worm's. Most everything has been discontinued or expensive. Now if your a efi nut thats another story...It would be very simple and cost effective to carb your way home. Now as TilliamWe has said plug and play and if its all up to spec and running smoothly that works too. But one ecu failure and wham...about a grand if you know what you are doing.