Mercusier 165 inline 6 Diagnosis Tear down update

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Again,
After removal of Exhaust manifold from my engine I found the riser connecttion was missing the gasket. The prior owner had used silicone to seal the riser to the manifold. I had a problem with water entering the #6 cylinder. The manifold looks good at the intake ports and inside the exhaust ports, no visable sign of rust thru or porisity. The manifold mounting gasket looked to be in good shape also.
I have ordered new riser and manifold gaskets and bolt kit from Iboats. What else should I be looking for while I have the manifold off, I inspected the manifold for cracks and signs of warpage and haven't seen or found any. I am thinking I should do one of the leaks test on the manifold that I have read here in the very informative forums. I am unclear[DUMB] as to which side I should be pouring the liquid[water or acetoe] in the manifold to do the test.
Again, I THANK ALL WHO RESPOND IN ADVANCE.

mIKE

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Mercusier 165 inline 6 Diagnosis Tear down update

which side I should be pouring the liquid[water or acetoe] in the manifold to do the test.
when i tested mine, i just poured water into the hole on the ft. of the manifold where the hose fits coming from the t stat housing. that's where i fill w/ anti freeze too when i winterized that way.

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, ziggy
Let me see now, I pour liquid into the water inlet withe manifold sittinon the bench with the engine side of the manifold in the upright position. I fill it up to the top of the manifold with the riser installed and block off so as to hold the water in. It sounds simple enough.
then check for water into the intake side of the manifold.
Mike

CaptRon66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes ,pour into inlet which gets connected to t-stat housing hose. I have used the acetone outside due to flammable liquid. It could be a real bummer if my wife used the remote to open the garage door while messing around with acetone inside. Acetone is less cohesive and will go through any cracks quicker. I tested mine without the riser bolted to manifold. Just filled it up till it reached the top of the coolant passages on the exhaust side.

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice

Update...... manifold has been full of water for a half an hour now and I see no water in any of the ports. Sorry, I was overthinking the test. Water is at the top of the manifold with the riser removed at the back of the manifold. The water level hasn't moved. I am leaning towards the water coming in to cylinder # 6 from the lack of a good seal at the riser as it was siliconed and not a proper sealing gasket. Will wait for new gaskets to arrive and clean and prep all the surfaces and reassembly and try again.
If I have missed anything please let me know.
Thanks Again, Mike

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice

CaptRon66,
Thanks for the response. Please forgive me for being a little O C D Please see my prevouis post.
Tahnks Again.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I have ordered new riser and manifold gaskets and bolt kit from Iboats.

I love the fact that iboats hosts this forum, and it's a great idea to support them... however.... The chances are good you will get the Sierra or other off brand of gasket. This will be a green paper gasket. If it is, throw it away and get the black/grey graphite type of gasket from your local Mercrusier dealer. Be sure to clean your gasket surfaces down to flat, clean, shiny metal. I personally use a large flat metal file to get it done.

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice

Fishermark, Thanks for the headsup on the gaskets. I was cleaning the original riser and pushed right thru the sidewall of the riser, this would cause a problem right. I have the truck motor that came in the boat that I am replacing with this good runing Mercrusier engine. The manifold and riser look brand new. The letter HGE are embossed on the manifold and riser. Does anyone know anything about this brand of manifold i.e. Good Bad ???. I did see that on the riser it has made in China??
Thanks to all that respond.
Mike

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I don't have any personal experience with HGE manifolds, but if the manifold and riser are in good condition, I would say to reuse them. (And yes, being able to punch through the wall of the original one is a bad thing. ;) ).

I would suggest doing the recommended re-routing of the water passage. If I can find the old post about this I will post it, or you can do a search.

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Fishermark, for the response, I will see if I can get the steel plugs out of the manifold and if I do I will do the updat as per the TSB. The Manifold was bolted to a chevy 250 truck motor and in the boat when I bought. I have it sitting on the bench with water in it to test for leaks. The area on top of the original manifold that came with the engine is corrodded and has a lot of perosity at the riser mount, so I will be using the HGE manifold and Riser which look almost new.
Thanks for the advice, Mike