what service manual for a 1983 mercruiser 140

russhughes1

Cadet
i have a 1983 mercruiser 140 im rebuilding the carb on and im wondering what service manual is out there for this year carb

russhughes1

Cadet
Re: what service manual for a 1983 mercruiser 140

do you happen to know the mercruiser manual # the problem im having is i bought a sierra rebuild kit 18-7097 and it has a little check ball where the accelerater pump is and im trying to find the correck manual with the same carb the carb number is 1389-8490

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just go to the link I posted, and look at the cover, the manual number is on the cover. The part number of the manual is in the lower right of the cover. That link IS the manual.

If you are looking for a service manual strictly for that carb, you aren't going to find one. It's just a section in the engine service manual.

russhughes1

Cadet

hey don s i tried to open that link but it didnt take me tothe manual.....if you dont mind could you try to send the link again....i know im not going to find a manual for the carb im just having trouble finding the correct manual with my carb in it...ive found a couple without the check ball on the accelerator pump and they didnt show what i have.my accelerator pump is straight not 90 degree at the end of the shaft like manual 10 shows and manual 4 is for the stern drive i guesswhat i need is the manual for the engine. thanks alot

Don S

There's nothing to send, just click on it, it works.

Don't try to copy and paste, it won't work, just click it.

Pete104

Lieutenant

He's not only 1 that can't open those links! I don't know the deal is but I get a new window & both processors kick in and run on a blank window/screen until "pop-up" says "End Process". Browser also shows I loose IE/not responding. Then I can't just close the "new" window, I have too get out of IE totally.

Don S

LOL, IE strikes again. I was using Google chrome and have no problems, just tried IE8 and lockup time. Can't help there, I have nothing to do with that site.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I'll give that a shot!
I know you aren't IT but I had too say something.;)

Got it now!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

He's not only 1 that can't open those links! I don't know the deal is but I get a new window & both processors kick in and run on a blank window/screen until "pop-up" says "End Process". Browser also shows I loose IE/not responding. Then I can't just close the "new" window, I have too get out of IE totally.

LOL, IE strikes again. I was using Google chrome and have no problems, just tried IE8 and lockup time. Can't help there, I have nothing to do with that site.

And if, like I do, you use Firefox you give microslush a kick in the pants to boot... :D:D:p

I have no idea why ANYBODY would still be using the worst browser on the planet (IE), when there are so many good ones to choose from! Firefox, Opera, even Chrome is better than IE. :facepalm:

i have a 1983 mercruiser 140 im rebuilding the carb on and im wondering what service manual is out there for this year carb

Try this one -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3Tjhfdk9PRXBWWExTU084dXpoTUhqRk9vZw

russhughes1

Cadet

thanks for all the help i used google chrome and was able to open both links,i found what i was looking for and im just missing a retainer clip for the accelerator pump.if i cant find one i guess ill have to put it back together wiyhout it and hope for the best

achris

More fish than mountain goat

thanks for all the help I used google chrome and was able to open both links, I found what I was looking for and I'm just missing a retainer clip for the accelerator pump. If I cant find one I guess ill have to put it back together without it and hope for the best

Not a good look.... I have looked and they are all still available to purchase, so you have no excuse for putting it back together incompletely... There are 2 different pump styles available with the MerCarb. You need to go to a site with pictures (I use www.mercruiserparts.com) and identify the style you have and order the parts you need. Getting stuck out at sea because of a silly decision, like leaving a part out, is going to be embarrassing and expensive for the tow in...