Pulling a Boat Motor

jbu08873

Recruit
Is it possible to pull an inboard boat engine 120 4 cyl. With a engine puller that you would use on a auto, Or do you need a hoist type setup?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulling a Boat Motor

Any puller is possible as long as you can get the proper height out of it. Boats are usually higher than autos so take that into account. One trick is to let the air out of the trailer tires but you still have to do your due dilligence.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have tries a couple of different auto engine lifts as well as seen the same question posted here several times about the "pull behind your car" type auto engine lifts and all were sort on height. I hav resorted to the big shade tree at my old house and the ceiling trusses in my garage here with a chain hoist. I bought the chain hoist for $50 and now I own it too, never have to rent again. I ahve also seen in one of the postings on this site a hoist stand made of 2x4s and such cost only a few dollars to make. As I understand it, a long block small block is only around 500 lbs, the same as two good size guys. I have had more than two guys standing on the floor joists and even in the attick when I moved in and loaded stuff up there so I don't think the engine is a big deal, espacially if you have a 4 cyl.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I once pulled a Merc 3.0 from a 17' Baja I used to have, I to was short on height, I just pulled the wheels off the trailer and sat it down on the hubs to gain the clearance.

Bondo

Staff member

I've pulled those Little 4 cylinder motors by pulling Everything off the Block,..........<br /><br />Then with a couple of Friends,...... You can Lift the Block out By Hand,............<br />It's Not more than a couple Hundred Pounds,.... After you Strip it Down...........

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

If none of the above works, you can always call a tow truck and have them lift it out...<br /><br />T

KaGee

Admiral

I built this for about $75.00 and 2 hours labor.<br /><br />
Picture%20033.jpg
<br /><br />
Picture%20036.jpg
<br /><br />Pulled the boat out after lifting the motor.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I still like that KaGee. Makes you look like a real pro. I think you should get a prize for it. Hmmmm! now what could that be? :D

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

To pull my engines out of my boat which is about9' to 10' up,I had put 2,4"x6"x16' up right in the ground about 2',space 24' apart,off the 4"x6",I had installed some 2"x6"x14' on a 45 angle down.In between the tops of the 4"x6" I install a 6" I beam.From there I installed a trolley with a come-along.I was able to pull the engines out the side and lower them on to a trailer to more them to my shop.Problem was,my boat is on blocks.<br />Now that I have reinstall everything,its about time to pull all that down.Should have my boat back in the water sometime in Sept.Been a long year,was dry dock Labor day weekend last year for a complete rebuild from the fuel tanks,plumming,elec system and more.Will I ever do a boat this size again,NOT NO BUT HELL NO!And ya'll guys think one motor is a *****.Trade?