Removing a starter slave solenoid from 3.0 mercury engine

Skyloran

Recruit
I have a 2005 Bayliner with a Mercury I/O engine. I have been trying to remove the starter slave solenoid from the engine but the two bolts holding the solenoid just keep turning and not coming out. The solenoid is mounted on a plate in a very tight area making it almost impossible to see behind the plate. From the small glimpse I could get it appears that there is something behind the plate that keeps turning when I turn the bolt but it doesn't look like a nut. Any idea why these bolts don't simply back out? What is behind the plate that I cannot see?
Thanks ahead of time. What looks like a 10 minute job now looks almost impossible.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Removing a starter slave solenoid from 3.0 mercury engine

that would be a nut behind the plate

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 2005 Bayliner with a Mercury I/O engine. I have been trying to remove the starter slave solenoid from the engine but the two bolts holding the solenoid just keep turning and not coming out. The solenoid is mounted on a plate in a very tight area making it almost impossible to see behind the plate. From the small glimpse I could get it appears that there is something behind the plate that keeps turning when I turn the bolt but it doesn't look like a nut. Any idea why these bolts don't simply back out? What is behind the plate that I cannot see?
Thanks ahead of time. What looks like a 10 minute job now looks almost impossible.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

Remove the plate if you've got to, to get to the nut behind it....

It's the nature of Wrenchin' to have to remove more than ya thought was Necessary....

Skyloran

Recruit

Thanks for your help. Seems like they could have used a threaded hole rather than put av nut behind it. I appreciate your responses.