Alpha one, gear housing (prop shaft)

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Alpha one, gear housing (prop shaft)

The oil seal in the iboats link you provided is for an outboard motor not an Alpha. Do you have an Alpha One or and Alpha Gen II?

chizwizdiz

Seaman Apprentice

The oil seal in the iboats link you provided is for an outboard motor not an Alpha. Do you have an Alpha One or and Alpha Gen II?

Roger that, alpha one, gen one.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Well I'll be darned. It's the same part number. Seems to be a muti application seal.

chizwizdiz

Seaman Apprentice

Well I'll be darned. It's the same part number. Seems to be a muti application seal.

I just noticed as well, I appreciate the help. As for the installation, is it just a remove and install? No special tools?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

Their are actually 2 seals ( 1 for pressure the other for vaccum ) and its best to pull the bearing carrier to perform this if you are going to change both. The Special tools typically required are Bearing carrier reatainer nut wrench, bearing carrier puller and a pressure tester setup. If the prop shaft is scored where the seal contacts ( not uncommon) that should be adressed as well.

If you use the procedure on merc stuff .com to pull the bearing carrier you can avoid the need for a puller. I was able to polish my prop shaft as it was only lightly scored.

A good manual is very helpful if you want to attempt this yourself.

With all that said it may be quite possible to change the outer seal with a teardown but I have never tried. You may b able to see the outer shaft surface before the teardown as well as their tends to be some end play in those. This of course may not be the best repair but could buy you some time and or save some $. A pressure test would be crucial.

chizwizdiz

Seaman Apprentice

Their are actually 2 seals ( 1 for pressure the other for vaccum ) and its best to pull the bearing carrier to perform this if you are going to change both. The Special tools typically required are Bearing carrier reatainer nut wrench, bearing carrier puller and a pressure tester setup. If the prop shaft is scored where the seal contacts ( not uncommon) that should be adressed as well.

If you use the procedure on merc stuff .com to pull the bearing carrier you can avoid the need for a puller. I was able to polish my prop shaft as it was only lightly scored.

A good manual is very helpful if you want to attempt this yourself.

With all that said it may be quite possible to change the outer seal with a teardown but I have never tried. You may b able to see the outer shaft surface before the teardown as well as their tends to be some end play in those. This of course may not be the best repair but could buy you some time and or save some $. A pressure test would be crucial.

Appreciate the help, I guess I need to go see what I'm getting myself into.