Bellows install tool

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soon I hope I will be putting my transom assembly back together. My question is about the bellows expanding tool. It appears that it is an expanding pair of pliers with a semi circle on the outer ends. In use do you hook onto one of the folds in the bellow, expand to get grip and then use it to pull the bellows back towards the bell housing? Looks like I could make one up pretty easy. Are they needed for both the exhaust and u joint bellows? I am working on a MC1 outdrive. Would any one care to post a pic with a few dimensions for a guy to build himself one? Please.
Alan

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bellows install tool

Hi Sangster, I built one that worked for me. Here's a CAD drawing that I just put together for it. Its not dimensioned yet. Spent hours on it already. Will add individual parts with dimensions tomorrow. It's late. Gotta get my beauty rest now. - Grandad

bellowstoolassembly2.jpg

OK. Part 2 of this post. More CAD pictures with dimensions. I fastened the "ears" to the handle by brazing, since I don't have any welding capabilities. You could just drill and tap the ends of the handle for a 1/4"-20 bolt through the ear. The only thing not shown below is a piece of 3/16" rod about 8" long (as shown above) to maintain a pull on the bellows as you secure it. I used a drive chain link for the pivot point. I hope this helps. - Grandad

bellowstoolhandledwg.jpg

bellowstooleardwg.jpg

bellowstoolspreaderjpg.jpg

DriveChainLink.jpg

pcbennison

Recruit

What an awesome post. I don't mind so much the $60 for the tool, but it is so much more fun making a tool for about one tenth the cost. I have seen a few posts that have done this type of thing, but nothing with the details and dimensions like this. Going to put one together and change out the bellows this weekend. I tried to do it without the tool and though people say it can be done, I don't know how they accomplish it.....

Thanks for the detailed post...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

What an awesome post. I don't mind so much the $60 for the tool, but it is so much more fun making a tool for about one tenth the cost. I have seen a few posts that have done this type of thing, but nothing with the details and dimensions like this. Going to put one together and change out the bellows this weekend. I tried to do it without the tool and though people say it can be done, I don't know how they accomplish it.....

Thanks for the detailed post...
Thanks PC. For me, it was a bigger job to make the tool than to change the bellows, but like you, I enjoy the challenge. Fisherdan's tool may do the job and it's cheap and a lot simpler. Drawing the tool on CAD (Solidworks) after I made it was also a challenge, since I've never been schooled in CAD. I'm glad someone's able to use the drawings. Let us know how it worked for you. You may find you can make improvements to it. - Grandad

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am still a good while away from doing the bellows install, but I decided to go ahead and make up the tool. Thanks Grandad for posting up the information! Before I put the outdrive back together I have to cut stringers, tab in place, fuel tank, floor, full wiring re do ........ Oh boy I have lots of work to do.
Alan

Attachments

• bellows tool.jpg
    bellows tool.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

mercruiser has a newer style exhaust bellows that requires no tool.motor does sound a little throater at the dock.