Mercruiser tilt trim

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser tilt trim

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Odds are, it's corroded wiring ends...

Remove, sand, clean to shiny metal, reinstall, 'n Grease 'em after....

Btw,... I'll move this to the Mercruiser forum for ya....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Other than Merc, what are we working on. The pumps and wiring have changed over the years, and with different drives.

gaultp

Recruit

My 2006 alpha 1 trims down veryslowly. It trims up ok. I got the boat home, installed the batteries, and ran the tilt and trim. It goes up rapidly and seems fine. Push down and the motor runs but the lower unit just slowly drifts down. It looks like there has been a leak (dark surface scum that blows off with a hose but the reservoir is not empty. I haven't cleaned off the down terminals yet but since the motor runs that may not help.

Don S

You probably have problems with the pump itself. Does the pump sound labored when going down, or does it sound the same as going up?

gaultp

Recruit

It does sound different while going down. Not necessarily labored.

DYI

Recruit

Good Day all!

I am working on a 1979 Sea Ray SRV 190, from what I can tell it has been re-powered with a 1977 ish Mercruiser 888 (302 2bbl) 188 HP.

At one point I had the out drive all the way down, and could't power it up,(out). After a trip to the friendly Mercruiser dealer I am now able to power up but not all the way down. The trim sensors are there, but not connected to anything, (both black with male bullet connectors). I followed them throught the bellows.

Am I to assume that the trim is defaulting to lock out before the outdrive gets all the way down? There are 3 buttons on the trim control is one an override for down, or just up?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the trim on this old boat. FYI most diagram i have seen have two solenids, my setup only has one. The control is dash mounted with 3 buttons.

Don S

Welcome to iboats DYI, you need to start a new thread of your own, not hijack someone elses thread.

Dastugatz

Recruit

Random question about Trim Sender switch,

I have bypassed the trim stop switch which i am fine with.. but i am wondering is it at all possible to go around the gimbal with enough wire so it does not sever the connection and go through the transom just to get the gauge working? i would hate to take the whole outdrive apart to replace a gromit and wiring for a gauge.

thanks, sorry if i am out of order posting here but it was within the question of tilt trim..

Don S

You need to start your own thread.

neigler

Recruit

Hi, i just purchased a 1973 slickcraft with a 888 mercrusier outdrive. I am not an expert on boats but i know the basics. Tilt/Trim will will not work, motor is running but nothing happens. I noticed a line to the outdrive leaking, so i tightened it. I know where the trim motor is located but do not know how to fill the reserviour with fluid. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!