Alpha I lower shift cable frozen

bluesdude

Cadet
Started removing the lower shift cable from my 1989 Celebrity to replace. Cut the bracket end off to the core cable and began pulling on the shift slide to pull core cable. Would not budge. Tried pulling horizontally with a 4-ton hydraulic rig and got about 6 inches pulled but started pulling boat trailer even though it was blocked. Any ideas?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha I lower shift cable frozen

Tried pulling horizontally with a 4-ton hydraulic rig and got about 6 inches pulled but started pulling boat trailer even though it was blocked. Any ideas?
You might try tying the trailer to a tree, or hook your truck to the trailer. :eek: <br /><br />Also it sounds like you need a manual. :rolleyes: <br /><br />You should not have to use a hydraulic rig to change the cable.

bluesdude

Cadet

Is there a way to pull the entire cable and cable housing out. It appears that if I take off the 9/16" retaining nut and loosen the bellows clamp, I could pull it all out from the transom side. Does that make sense?

bluesdude

Cadet

I guess it does make sense. I did it and now have the new cable in and working great.