Not what i wanted to see.....

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went and checked on the boat today since it was mid 70's out and i noticed my trailer tire was flat and my outboard was stuck in the ground a little bit. So decided to raise the outboard and all was going fine, then it just stopped going up and this milky white fluid was leaking everywhere.

My guess is im just leaking hydraulic fluid??? and i some how blew a seal when the tire went flat???

430214_10150592447766472_537661471_9526880_803470940_n.jpg

416809_10150592446766472_537661471_9526877_199106687_n.jpg

Hopefully you can all see those pictures?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Not what i wanted to see.....

That 'milky' stuff is water blended with the trim pump oil, it should be clean oil, you have two problems.
One, how did the water get into the trim system, and two, where is the leak? Hopefully you only have a split hose or a loose fitting, I'd be more worried of the effects of the water and how long it has been inside that hyd pump!

One of the Moderators will soon notice and move this to the MERCRUISER Forum where it belongs, as it is an OUTDRIVE, not an outboard.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found the same thing in my trim pump....water is getting past the trim cylinders, maybe more too early to really tell until you dive further into it. For me it would be process of elimination and reading and watching frisco boater's video blog, where I checked first was the trim cylinders, and found they were the culprit, but while they were off I ordered new hoses as well. I took my cylinders to a local machine shop and had them rebuild them. There are really only a small amount of parts to this system, the pump, hoses, and the cylinders. The oil is 10w30 engine oil. I also cleaned out the trim pump and the resevoir with simple green and gave it a good wipe down and the o-ring was wiped up with a small amount of vasaline.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Gen II trim cylinders have the DOWN hose running outside of the cylinder, along the bottom. From the spray pattern it looks like you may have a loose fitting where it connects to the cylinder.

Chris......

dubs283

Vice Admiral

so the strap is holding the drive up??

if so, the source of the spray leak should be easy to find, just pull up on the drive and let it down easy, the leak should be obvious

once fixed, check for others - then flush the trim system and install fresh oil

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so the strap is holding the drive up??

if so, the source of the spray leak should be easy to find, just pull up on the drive and let it down easy, the leak should be obvious

once fixed, check for others - then flush the trim system and install fresh oil

It appears to be coming out of the cylinders not any of the connections.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then you either fix it or replace it.

If you decide to fix it, take it apart first so you know what you need to order. It may not be re-buildable.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... By the looks of what yer callin' Oil,...

I'd say it's probably more Water, 'n it froze, 'n Split the cylinders...

I'd also be checkin' out the pump, 'n lines for Freeze Damage...

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,... By the looks of what yer callin' Oil,...

I'd say it's probably more Water, 'n it froze, 'n Split the cylinders...

I'd also be checkin' out the pump, 'n lines for Freeze Damage...

if thats the case then a certain marina didn't do a very good job winterizing my boat....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't winterize the trim system.
Many shops, winterizing is just drain the cooling system and send it home.

Bondo

Staff member

if thats the case then a certain marina didn't do a very good job winterizing my boat....

Ayuh,... That would be a Maintenance Issue, of not findin' the trim oil contaminated...

Who ever is supposed to be checkin' yer Fluids, dropped the ball...

Nothin' really to do with Winterization....
Unless a Full Service was bein' done at the same time,...

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Figured I'd give an update the left tube that holds the ram is cracked almost all the way down the side. The guess was that it had a small leak and over time water got in it and it and it froze over winter but was still functional in the summer time.

good news is its only going to cost around 130 to replace it all.

Bondo

Staff member

Figured I'd give an update the left tube that holds the ram is cracked almost all the way down the side. The guess was that it had a small leak and over time water got in it and it and it froze over winter but was still functional in the summer time.

good news is its only going to cost around 130 to replace it all.

Ayuh,... Not bad, at All...

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'd go with the SEI, or Used, from like ebay.... So long as it's the Same as the old 1...

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... I'd go with the SEI, or Used, from like ebay.... So long as it's the Same as the old 1...

i guess i could replace this aftermarket one 3 times before it would even add up to the cost of the name brand...

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Okay got some bad news.... the marina has no used Port side trim cylinders and the new one from mercruiser are just shy of 500 bucks....

I did some looking online and found this aftermarket brand but I'm wondering if i should shell out the extra cash and get the name brand one

http://www.mercaftermarkets.com/categories/Trim-Cylinders/

So far, Ace, you're at B-O. Be patient, though....the A-T is coming;)