Mercruiser 90 stern drive. Possible engine swaps?

cich69

Cadet
The boat is a 1972 Mark Twain v sonic with a Renault 4 cylinder/Mercruiser 90 outdrive. I would like to know if there are other engine/drive options that can be swapped in relatively easily? I was thinking maybe the Mercruiser 120?

Will any other Mercruiser drives bolt up to the bellhousing already on the boat? If not are there any transom assemblies that would use the same size cutout in the transom?

I have tried searching the Internet and these forums without finding a lot of useful info. So if anyone has done a similair swap or has any helpful info please let me know!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 90 stern drive. Possible engine swaps?

The boat is a 1972 Mark Twain v sonic with a Renault 4 cylinder/Mercruiser 90 outdrive. I would like to know if there are other engine/drive options that can be swapped in relatively easily? I was thinking maybe the Mercruiser 120?

Will any other Mercruiser drives bolt up to the bellhousing already on the boat? If not are there any transom assemblies that would use the same size cutout in the transom?

I have tried searching the Internet and these forums without finding a lot of useful info. So if anyone has done a similair swap or has any helpful info please let me know!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.....

The only way to swap anything into that hull, is to strip it to fiberglass, 'n refit it with a newer driveline of yer choice,...

Pulleys to Prop.... The Whole kit, 'n kaboodle...

The keyhole in the transom only needs abit of trimmin', 'n a couple more holes drilled....