Mercruiser 470 flywheel removal and engine stand attachment

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Iboaters, have a few questions here, i am progressing on my rebuild of my MCM 165, after several checks it appears like i am going to need a full rebuild and need to get the block to a machine shop. Have quite a bit done already but having trouble with the flywheel removal.

Anyone, know any tricks to getting the fly wheel off the Mercruiser 165's. I have the cover off, all the visible bolts are out on the coupler, it does not budge, do i need a puller for this? or just a lot of patience?

Also i am going to put the engine on an engine stand as well, do i just use the bolts that held the fly wheel cover on or do i need to get special bolts? I want to be careful since it is an aluminum block and use the right attach points. Never used an engine stand before.

With regards to getting the engine on the stand, i already have the head off the engine, but i will need to use a hoist to get the engine on the stand, do i need to put the head back on and use the original lift points or can i use the head bolts directly to the hoist chain. if so does it matter which head bolts i should use.

Thanks to all for any help. I am already learning a ton from everyone out here and could not have gotten this far without help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 470 flywheel removal and engine stand attachment

Ayuh,.... You have a 470,...

If you'd call it what it Is, you won't cause confusion...
Merc also built a 165hp, I-6 motor....
Btw,... I edited yer title to reflect this fact....
Anyone, know any tricks to getting the fly wheel off the Mercruiser 165's. I have the cover off, all the visible bolts are out on the coupler, it does not budge, do i need a puller for this? or just a lot of patience?

It's probably Rusted,... Keep tappin' it, 'n it'll come off....

Also i am going to put the engine on an engine stand as well, do i just use the bolts that held the fly wheel cover on or do i need to get special bolts? I want to be careful since it is an aluminum block and use the right attach points. Never used an engine stand before.

You'll need longer bolts of the same thread...

With regards to getting the engine on the stand, i already have the head off the engine, but i will need to use a hoist to get the engine on the stand, do i need to put the head back on and use the original lift points or can i use the head bolts directly to the hoist chain. if so does it matter which head bolts i should use.

Don't use the head bolts, ya might bend 'em,...
Use other bolts of the same thread...

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bond-o, thanks for the input, yea, i thought of using the 470 designation, the manual says the 165 is an "improved" version of the 470 ( i am sure i will get a few laughs form that). I was just trying to distinguish but agree it is clearer to just say 470. I will get the extra bolts, thanks, that seamed like the logical approach but did not want to assume anything. In the manual it looks like there are bolts to hold on the coupler and then when that comes off there are more bolts on the flywheel, is this true?

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class

got the coupler off, wood block and a 3 lb mallet, plan to get an engine stand soon, thanks for the help.