Pertronix ignition conversion for Mercruiser 165 I6

Oshkosh1

Ensign
I've read many posts regarding the conversion from points.

I will be purchasing the Pertronix Ignitor II(91163A).

So...

What modifications to my coil-distributor wiring do I need to make?

I've read that I DO need a new coil...
I've read that I DON'T need a new coil.

Soooo...whats it gonna be?(why do I hear Meatloaf in my head?)I'm not averse to buying a new coil if I need it...but if I CAN use my current one...I will.

My current coil is new...as are the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. No running issues.

I realize that there will not be any performance gains, however I think the low/non maintenance of the electronic system and the eaiser cold starting is a plus. I will however keep my points/plate in the tool kit "just in case".

Since I don't own an icebreaker, I won't be on the water anytime soon...but since the snowmobiling conditions are pathetic I'm already thinking spring.

Thanks in advance...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pertronix ignition conversion for Mercruiser 165 I6

Stop reading things that may or may not be a problem. Follow the instructions in the kit when you receive it.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Stop reading things that may or may not be a problem. Follow the instructions in the kit when you receive it.

IF I order both the coil AND the ignition together I will receive a significant discount...($140 for both shipping included)hence I would like to know prior to ordering.

I would think there's enough people who have actually performed this marine/engine specific conversion to provide some "real world" input rather than rely on the advice of a customer rep in the call center who "wasn't familiar with the marine setup".

I also always measure twice and cut once...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You can download the installation instructions from the Pertonix website.. That should stop all the speculation!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I've read that I DO need a new coil...
I've read that I DON'T need a new coil.

Kinda both are right. First off IMHO you should go with the Ignitor II. If you want to keep your old coil you need to wire it so that the ballast resistor stays in place, but you MUST feed a full 12 volts to the Petronix. Far better, again IMHO go with the Ignitor II with the Flamethrower II coil and run a full 12 V to both, eliminating the ballast (resistance wire).

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Call pertronix they are very helpful and they know what they are doing. There are two differant coils generally used a 3 ohm and a 1.5 ohm coil. You have to use a volt meter and measure across the positive and negative terminals on your coil to see which you have. I believe if you have a 1.5 you have to use a resistor and if it is a 3.0 you can give it a full 12v.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The Flamethrower II is 0.6 ohm, and is used without a ballast resistor.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I've installed several 1163A models, all on the MCM 165. So far I've never purchased a new coil but used the existing ones which were on the engines and connected to the old points system. I've had no issues!

kilowatts

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Thanks to all who answered...

Now we could just have an early spring/summer(as we've not had a real winter so far), it would be all good.

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi
what is the purpose of the new ignition? I have the same engine as well and as far as I know has been changed to electric ignition once, but no idea what make.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Hi
what is the purpose of the new ignition? I have the same engine as well and as far as I know has been changed to electric ignition once, but no idea what make.

I believe the primary reason for the conversion is not having to maintain the antiquated point system. Secondary would be the benefit of easier starting.

achris

I believe the primary reason for the conversion is not having to maintain the antiquated point system. Secondary would be the benefit of easier starting.

Spark plugs last longer, engine runs smoother, and uses slightly less fuel, and stays 'in tune' better....
I built a CDI, from instructions in an old electronics magazine, for my old 165 many moons ago, about 1987. Loved it. I even had a friend with an old FJ55 Landcruiser ask me to build one for him. And when I say 'build', I had to hand-wind the transformer onto a bobbin, and mount it in a ferrite core, and etch the circuit board! Still got the instructions if anyone is interested.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

LOL only in Australia. I know one of the iboat members needed to move his oil filter so he melted down a pile of cans and poured one in his back yard. About 6 hours of lathe time and he had a remote filter.

achris

LOL only in Australia. I know one of the iboat members needed to move his oil filter so he melted down a pile of cans and poured one in his back yard. About 6 hours of lathe time and he had a remote filter.

He was fitting a 'local' engine, a 3.8 litre GMH V6, to his Bertram... It went really well too...
You guys (yanks) have 4.3s and 350s kicking 'round as scrap, we have these 3.8Ls... :D I think the engine itself cost him less that $1K. He made his own heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds too....

Chris.......

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Just a follow up...

I didn't convert. Stayed with the points.
Basically replaced all with new(points, wires, coil, cap, rotor), set the dwell and timed to spec.

One quick pump of the "go-stick", and a flick of the key...it fires and idles smoothly within two revs. Throttle response is snappy and without hesitation.

I suppose my "lesson learned" here is that while newer is nice...as long as the "old" system is properly installed, and maintained, there's no real perceptable advantage.

ziggy

Admiral

yep. that's where i'm at too.
everything ya said is true imho.
yer seeing the same light i do.
and yep. mine starts just like yours. :D