Tilt/trim not working on Bayliner runabout

I have a 1989 Bayliner 18' runabout with a 135 Merc IO. Tilt/trim worked before I stored it last year. Took the boat out for the first time recently. Trim down worked, but when I tried either switch (tilt or trim) to bring it back up it would not work.<br /><br />I'd really appreciate some suggestions on this. I am leaving on a family vacation soon and the kids are counting on me to pull them on the tube 24/7! :)

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tilt/trim not working on Bayliner runabout

Could be a bad solonoid or bad motor. I'd guess the motor. Have someone tap the motor housing while you hold the switch. If it moves, there's a short in the motor. Probably need a new one unless you know how to rebuild it.

Hmmm, If it's a bad motor, why would it work to lower the motor but not bring it back up (possibly it's just too weak now???). Actually, the motor did always sound sick (it was a higher pitch squeak than what it should have sounded like). Any suggestions on where to order a new motor?

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's what I'm thinking, based on personal experience of the same problem. You'll want to pull the motor and find the model#. Then I'd search Google and/or eBay with the #. iBoats might even have it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Geez, if the motor works one way, it will work the other way.<br />Here is a link to the troubleshooting section from the Mercruiser service manual. There is wiring diagrams and detailed instructions on checking the system. I'm pretty sure all you will find is either a bad connection or a bad soleoid.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my case it would only go down unless I tapped the motor. Bad connection was in the motor. Going down=less load on the motor or different pressure on the motor assembly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC Stringer/Mercruiser...... Completely different

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem in my bayliner, figured out I had a bad relay in my power trim box. I have a v8 305 volvo so im not sure if you have a power trim box in yours, but i had one in mine with two relays and a sending unit, water had gotten to one of the relays. So if there is any kind of relay connected to your power trim, Im no pro, but i'd check them or replace them. <br /><br />thanks , hope my expert amature opinion helps<br /><br />86bayliner

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one relay was for the up and one for the down i think. As a newbie I will gamble that your up relay is bad, and or your reverse lock wont unlock to allow it to come up. Is there any sound coming from the motor when you try to make it go up? Curious what the experts have to say about my newbie opinion.<br /><br /><br />---------------------------------------------------<br />86bayliner

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

execpt in my case i couldnt get the prop down, no problem getting it up though.