digital trim sender compatible with analog gauge?

Airslot F21

Cadet
Just upgraded to factory new Alpha Gen II drive system (2001 MCM 250) which I am told incorporates digital trim senders. The shop foreman seemed to think that the digital sender would not be compatible w/ my old analog trim position gauge. Mercruiser seems to imply (but not specifically state) that the analog gauge would be compatible w/ digital sender, but not vice versa. Has anyone had this experience?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: digital trim sender compatible with analog gauge?

Just upgraded to factory new Alpha Gen II drive system (2001 MCM 250) which I am told incorporates digital trim senders. The shop foreman seemed to think that the digital sender would not be compatible w/ my old analog trim position gauge. Mercruiser seems to imply (but not specifically state) that the analog gauge would be compatible w/ digital sender, but not vice versa. Has anyone had this experience?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

2001 was 11 years ago, 'n I believe 250 might designate the Motor,..??

Donno anything 'bout "Digital trim senders"....

Most of the folks 'round here don't use a trim gauge,...
But the 1s I've run across work just Fine on Alpha 1, Gen.IIs....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

ive never seen or heard of quicksilver digital trim senders

there are digital trim guages as part of smartcraft guages and that is a connection at the engine harness, there is one for analog and one for digital and depending on the type of guage you have determines which connection you use

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with dubs283,The sender and limit switch will work with your gauge

Fun Times

Staff member

Could you post a picture of your trim sensors on the outside of the boat?

From my experience there is a difference between the "digital" trim senders & the old style "analog" trim senders.

To use the analog gauge you need merc part number 805320A03, item number 6 in the link below.

If you would of had a smartcraft digital trim gauge of any kind in your boat to begin with, you should of had the 555 ECM as well, you would need merc part number 863187A1, item number 25 to make a digital trim gauge work.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=70&bdesc=Gimbal+Ring+and+Steering+Lever

I'm just not used to seeing the alpha system use the digital trim senders but it's possible.:)

Also do you have you're engine/drive & transom serial numbers? So we can see what engine package you have. Thanks.

Airslot F21

Cadet

OK, down to business. . . the site seems to have been down for for maintenance for a bit. First, to clarify some confusion, the engine is a 2001 closed cooled 5.7 250HP (2 bbl. Mercarb, T'bolt V ignition) vortec engine, S/N OL687000. The engine was originally sold new as a repower unit. The transom, (inner and outer) are brand new,, and the outdrive is rebuilt. Ok, that said, I now believe that the trim sender is compatible, it just a matter of proper wiring. The great thing about this site is that there is so much input. Seems like someone always has the answer! Thanks to all. I have another question about end-play in the prop shaft, but that's another thread!

Bondo

Staff member

I have another question about end-play in the prop shaft, but that's another thread!

Ayuh,... It's Normal that it moves in, 'n out, nearly an 1/8"....