Mercruiser Tune-up?

79camaro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 2003 bayliner with a Mercruiser 3.0. The motor has less than 100 hours on it and looks and sounds to be in great shape. I thought I'd do a little tuneup before using it too much. Any suggestions on the basics I should do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Tune-up?

1. Install a water separating fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump.
2. Replace the filters in the fuel pump and carb.
3. New spark plugs, new cap and rotor.
4. Do a tunup now while everything works, and each time you tune it up. Then you have a base line and can pinpoint problems when they happen later on down the line.
Check the timing, and advance timing to make sure they are to specs. along with idle rpm speed, and carb mixture if needed.
5. Follow all procedures in the OEM service manual.
6. Have you been keeping up with the yearly impeller, bellows, alignment checks, kubrication and other preventive maintenance mentioned in your owners manual?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser Tune-up?

2003 with less than 100 hours on it... Ummm. I'd be pulling the exhaust elbow and checking that too... Look for corrosion inside the exhaust path, with the pointy end of a large screwdriver.... If you can punch a hole, then it's shot. If not, put a new gasket on and run it for another couple of years. But at 8 years old, I'd be very surprised if it's not shot.

Chris........