mercruiser 470 rebuild or swap

jmccollum

Cadet
I currently have a mercruiser 470 that has to be rebuilt completly new crank, new cam new every thing. Which that is really expensive and it would be cheeper for me to buy another motor. My question is what is the biggest motor i can replace it with? With out have to change mounts and gear ratio's. Also would any one know where i could find a good reliable used motor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 470 rebuild or swap

With out have to change mounts and gear ratio's.

There isn't anything. A V6 would work with gear ratio, but you would need a complete marine engine, along with the exhaust Y.. More expensive than fixing your engine.
Have you looked into long and short blocks?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You could check out e-bay. If you do decide not to rebuild, the there is a pretty good market for the parts.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the boat trailerable? I use a speed shop for work like this and with the economy the way it is, they do great work and an amazing price. We have a salvage yard for insurance claims an hour away. You will find new boats trashed with new engines. However you have to do your due diligence because they don't always winterize these engines. But if your patient, its like an engine paradise.

I agree, rebuild. It's cheaper and less hassle.

jmccollum

Cadet

yes its on a trailor, and i agree about rebuild except of all the parts i need. The crank may be able to be turned but if not the cheapest crank new is $2000 and a cam has to be new or in great shape $200 all gaskets $250 a piston $85 and all lifters $50. This is not all the parts needed to rebuild just the ones i have looked up prices for. So as you can see the price is why im looking for a differnt motor. What speed shop and or salvage yard are you referring to i would be happy to check them out?

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you buy a crankshaft for $2000, i hope its made out of silver :)

I rebuilt 2 of those 470's just recently and spent about $2000 total. I got the crank repolished, got the head leveled, block bored, put sleeves on the cam, added electronic egnition and an alt. All new pistons, bearings, bolts, seals, gaskets, lifters, rocker arms, etc...

Of course i ran into some complications.. but who dosnt?

I have a bunch of parts left over, i may have something you need...including a crankshaft.. send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.. if you decide to rebuild :)

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

just finished rebuilding my 83 470 new piston rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, new fuel pump converted to electronic ignition. just like alexr254 said i spent less than 2 grand

Garybradberry

Recruit

I have a 1975 aristacraft 19 with a 470 merc motor that runs good im willing to sell boat and motor or just motor.