Connecting alternator from omc saildrive

bassie31

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I have got a OMC saildrive 10S15S 15 HP from 1977<br />i supose. The alternator is a Prestolite LK 6222-ay and my question is:<br /><br />How dow i connect the alternator to the batterie?<br />The alternator has a extended regulator and the alternator self has two connections.<br /><br />Can some help me how to connect the alternator?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Bas

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Connecting alternator from omc saildrive

I had the same alternator but different engine, the heavy lug on the alternator goes to the wire that has battery voltage from battery/assist syliniod and the external regulator connects to the smaller bolt on the alternator.

bassie31

Recruit

Thanks for your quick response!<br />So the heavy connection goes directly to the battery and the small wire goes to the regulator.<br />But the regulator has two connections.<br />Do you know at what connector the small alternatorcable must come and what i have to do with the other connector at the external regulator?<br /><br />Kindly regards, Bas from the Netherlands

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

you need to locate a wiring diagram for that application, I didnt realize you were stuck quite where you were. I have a big black cannon plug electrical connector in my settup. so the other regulator wire goes into that connection then out to the ignition switch. The BAT connection on the alternator also gets routed through this connection and runs to ammeter on boat and completes the circuit back to the ignition switch.

bassie31

Recruit

Thanks,<br /><br />I am gonna try if it will work!<br /><br />Kindly regards,<br /><br />Bas