Alpha One Trim Switch on control handle

tom03

Seaman Apprentice
The trim switch (bow up position only, bow down (outdrive down) works) on the control handle for my 1988 Alpha 1 stopped working this season (after having it in winterstorage with the outdrive all the way up).<br /><br />In order to get the outdrive up for trailering I press the Trailer button on the control handle and the outdrive comes up.<br /><br />What could be the problem ?<br /><br />Thanks, Tom

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha One Trim Switch on control handle

test the trim limit swtch on the port side of the drive. the wires come through the transom and have bullet connectors someplace near the pump. two black wires going to a purple and a blue some were purple/white. unplugg the limit switch and plug the blue and purple together. if the trim button works you will know the limit switch is bad.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha One Trim Switch on control handle

Check this thread as Don S posted the trim limit page from the service manual. There is another thread where he posted the entire troubleshooting procedure, but couldn't find it at first glance.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=011459#000001 <br /><br />Also I had the same symptoms and it was the wire actually coming off the trim switch inside the handle. Pretty easy to fix, but getting the handle apart (actually back together) can be tricky. I believe the manual recommends checking the trim limit first as rodbolt has suggested.