Howto Connect Fluid Extractor to Threaded Dip Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought one of these oil Fluid Extractortion pumps from Marpac. It comes with three different size hoses and a few misc adapter pieces. I pushed the middle sized hose down the dip stick and pumped but it took a while since the oil was cold (yes, I know the oil should be warm). Therefore I am looking for a better way to connect it directly to the threaded dip stick fitting.

The pump comes with a number of adapter pieces but I couldn't figure out how to use any of them. Anyone come up with a good way to connect this?

marpac_pump.JPG

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Howto Connect Fluid Extractor to Threaded Dip Stick

Once the oil is hot it will come out much quicker. With hot oil you'll empty the sump in about 2 minutes....

NHGuy

Captain

I use a 3/8 or so sized hose that just pushes on over the end of the dipstick. And chris is right. Don't even bother trying to suck out cold oil. It's an exercise in futility.
Just run the motor for a few minutes, then when the oil is warm change it.

superbenk

Commander

Go to your local hardware store & come up with some plumbing adapters to go from a female garden hose fitting to a barb fitting the right size to fit in the largest tube that came with the extractor.

Another more redneck option is to take an old hose with a female end & cut it with just an inch or so of hose left on the fitting. Shove one of the fat rubber adapter grommets into the bit of hose & then shove the tube into the grommet. Clamp the hose/grommet/tube down with a hose clamp. Thread it on the male threaded end of the dipstick and suck out the oil.

The main thing is you don't want too much rubber hose because it'll collapse under vacuum and pinch off the flow. The hard plastic tube & rubber grommets won't collapse.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks like the same setup as the West Marine brand. The small tube will slip into the hose connector and then the other end will connect to the larger tube that connects to the extractor. It should be in the directions.

superbenk

Commander

Here's my hacked together version... It uses a compression fitting with a 1/2" male end clamped into the bit of rubber hose left on a female fitting:

IMG_00013.jpg

Worked perfectly.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my hacked together version... It uses a compression fitting with a 1/2" male end clamped into the bit of rubber hose left on a female fitting:

Worked perfectly.

I might try that too. The way they have it configured is very slow since it's sucking through the small tube. Is that a 3/8" compression to 1/2" male thread?

superbenk

Commander

I might try that too. The way they have it configured is very slow since it's sucking through the small tube. Is that a 3/8" compression to 1/2" male thread?

Something like that though it might have been a 5/16 compression fitting. Not sure exactly, just rummaged through my bin of random fittings until I found something that fit. Whatever the OD of my largest tube is.

I wonder how good of a vacuum you were getting with the tube shoved down the dip stick. Could be part of the problem. That and the fact you had to use a very small diameter tube.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure how much you paid for the Marpac extractor, but I paid about $8 for one of these drill powered pumps. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing/pumps/flotec/drill-motor-pump-225-gph-41653.html

I paid a few dollars more for some garden hose fittings (and a discharge hose) that screw onto my dip stick with a nice tight seal. I can pump all 8 quarts out in about 2 minutes. No tubing or grommets required. The whole job only takes me about 15 minutes from set up to breakdown.

Take the Marpac back, save your money and the headache of figuring that thing out.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something like that though it might have been a 5/16 compression fitting. Not sure exactly, just rummaged through my bin of random fittings until I found something that fit. Whatever the OD of my largest tube is.

I wonder how good of a vacuum you were getting with the tube shoved down the dip stick. Could be part of the problem. That and the fact you had to use a very small diameter tube.
The tube doesn't go down into the dipstick. It just slips into the hose fitting which screws onto the top of the dipstick.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pic, I think I'll try to mimic something like that. I'm (obviously) not good with plumbing and walking into a hardware store's plumbing section is a bit overwhelming sometimes. I'll look for those compression fittings.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the pieces they include. There were no instructions which didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.