Oil in bellows - Mercruiser Alpha One

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
I pulled my outdrive off today and found a decent amount of oil in the bellows which appears to be leaking out of the upper housing. I'm assuming it must be a seal in the upper housing. Any idea what the likely culprit is and how easy is it to fix?
Thanks,
Ron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil in bellows - Mercruiser Alpha One

You probably need a new seal, and a new yoke that the seal rides on. Grooves get worn into the yoke by the seal, and the leak starts.
How hard? For me, it's not bad, but I do it for a living and have no idea what your abilities are.

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don. My mechanical skills are pretty good, this is just one repair I haven't attempted before. Does replacing the seal and yoke require any special Mercury tools?

I was actually taking all this off because I was getting ready to repair a transom seal leak. Didn't expect to find this. :(

You probably need a new seal, and a new yoke that the seal rides on. Grooves get worn into the yoke by the seal, and the leak starts.
How hard? For me, it's not bad, but I do it for a living and have no idea what your abilities are.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the spanner wrench,normal hand tools, and the manual.