exhaust manifold bolts rusted-how to remove?

piratedude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
went to remove my manifolds on a 5.7 merc and was able to remove the 2 end bolts but the 2 center ones were rusted and just flaked off rust. cant seem to get a grip w/ a socket. how to remove without pulling engine?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: exhaust manifold bolts rusted-how to remove?

wow<br /> the choices here are many.<br /> use a dremel tool and reshape the flats. use an air chiesel and cut off the offending lumps of rust. use an oxy/acetylyne rig and burn them off(my personnal favorite) or a sawzall (reciprocating saw) with a good carbide blade and cut the manifold runner near the head. ya only have to cut the runner enough to slice the bolt. I have had a few shamrocks with ford motors that I just used and air chiesel and took the manifold apart in pieces. all depends on access.

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sears makes a nice set of damaged-bolt remover sockets. I've used them on several badly rusted bolts on my boat trailer and they worked great. They also make an impact gun set, although I wouldn't use a gun on manifold bolts (if you snap a bolt, you're screwed). Here's the link to the regular-grade set http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952166000 .<br />Good Luck.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those bolts are pretty long, I'd try to chisel/break the heads off, an get the manifold out of the way, they I'd use PB Blaster and vice grips to get the remaining bolt out. I'd use heat as a last resort. A torch in the bilge is a scary thing. <br /><br />Once the manifold is gone, they'll eb easier to work with. This stuff takes just takes patience.

husaburg560

Cadet

you can use a 4 1\2 angle grinder with a flapper wheel to remove the head of the bolt.