1988 Marlin mercruiser. All i get is a click.

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice
Im restoring the motor mounts and floor boards on a 1988 Marlinc mercruiser that has been sitting outside halfway covered for 12 years. I am about ready for the new floor boards and decided i wanted to make sure i wasnt going to have engine issues. I hooked up a battery and all i am getting is a click at the circut breaker on the eingine. I changed out the starter relay to see if that was the issue, still getting the click. If i bypass the starter relay and connect strait on to the starter the start will spin. I am new to boats and am not really sure what to do next. Any help would be great thanks guys. Also all other electronics work. Lights, Bilge and blower.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 Marlin mercruiser. All i get is a click.

Im restoring the motor mounts and floor boards on a 1988 Marlinc mercruiser that has been sitting outside halfway covered for 12 years. I am about ready for the new floor boards and decided i wanted to make sure i wasnt going to have engine issues. I hooked up a battery and all i am getting is a click at the circut breaker on the eingine. I changed out the starter relay to see if that was the issue, still getting the click. If i bypass the starter relay and connect strait on to the starter the start will spin. I am new to boats and am not really sure what to do next. Any help would be great thanks guys.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

we'll need to know What motor, 'n What drive ya got,...
Serial #s are a Big plus...

So far We know ya got a 1988...

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 230 Horsepower Mercuiser and the manual i have here says Stern drive. If that doesnt help i can go out n get the serial number. thanks for the quick reply.

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Serial on Outdrive is oc508554
Serial on Engine is oc544147

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This should help you locate your starting problem.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

As far as getting it running, After setting for 12 years, you can expect the fuel system to be varnished and gunked up from old gas that it will not run without a lot of serious rebuilding, cleaning, and replacement.
Your oil may have turned to sludge if there is moisture in the air, and in general you will have one heck of a time getting it running again.

PS the serial numbers you posted are for the drive and transom shield, not your engine.

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, i actually had just found that thread and was out testing... i checked the oil and it actually doesnt seem to bad... i will still be changing it... The fuel system was drained before it was parked. I expect there to be a lot of work in getting it running... Thank you :)