1969 Mercruiser Model 2 outdrive info. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 Mercruiser Model 2 outdrive info. Any good?

You don't even want close to that drive. No parts available.
That drive was in it's own world. It didn't tilt up like todays drives do, it turned sideways.

The transom would also have to be replaced. It had a larger hole and completely different from newer Mercruisers.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well then maybe I incorrectly identified it. It has large tilt cylinders and was tilted when I looked at it. Knew I should have taken a picture. It looks identical to my MC-1, except about 1/3 bigger. Will hunt internet and see if I can find one like it.

Don S

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one I was looking at had the six threaded studs to remove the outdrive like my MC-1, just alot bigger, and did not have that cone on the prop. Had thru the hull exhaust set low on the transom, Prop had the holes in it for exhaust to come thru, not sure if outdrive was set up for exhaust to come thru it though. Did not notice if it had that funky transom hole pattern. If I can not figure it out, I will drive back out there tomorrow morning, take a pic and post it on here.
What was the bigger outdrive called after the Mercruiser model 2? Was it called Bravo yet? MC-2?

Don S

Sounds more like a III drive. predecessor of the II-TR. Yes, they were big and heavy. No shifting in the drive, the transmission was behind the engine.
What engine was in the boat?
The Bravo drives didn't come out till 88

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine is small block GM V8. Looks to be original. I thought it said 260 hp, but after looking at your chart, maybe it was 250 hp. You mentioned the shifting behind the engine, there is a black box on the backside top of engine that I did not recognize. If it is that outdrive, are they any good?

Don S

NO Parts. They are NLA from Merc and have been for many, many years. The 250 was also a 327 Chevy engine. That was back before they started worrying about safety in boats, the fuel and electrical systems were not spark protected, and fuel systems leaked just like cars, right into the bilge. the 60's and early 70's were the beginning years of IO's, nothing was really great back then other than the engines themselves. The IO stuff came and went rather quickly.
Finding and fixing up old boats to use is fine, but use newer engines and drives if you want an old boat that is safe and reliable for family use.

Few people are going to notice the difference between an old 327 fire hazard with a III drive on it, and a newer 350/Alpha setup. They will just be looking at the cool old boat.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, thanks for the good info and advice. Does the III also have the odd ball transom pattern as far as converting to a newer style outdrive?

Don S

Have no idea on the III.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, thanks for the good info and advice. Does the III also have the odd ball transom pattern as far as converting to a newer style outdrive?

Ayuh,... If it's a Cool, Classic hull is don't matter,...
Fillin', 'n recuttin' the transom is just 1 more step in refittin' a Gem....;)

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got this email from a guy when I inquired about a replacement outdrive.
$9,990.00 ouch

Hello Jason,

Thanks for your interest, Konrad offers a direct replacement drive unit for the Merc III drive. It's a bolt-on system that retains the existing Merc transom assembly.

This package was originally designed for the hi performance market as a replacement for the Speedmaster III (same transom assy as your MercIII) Our replacement for the Mercruiser III is fitted with our Konrad 520 lower gear housing to allow for your existing propeller diameter (up to 20" max)

Please feel free to call me direct for more information,

Best regards,

Kurt Flachbart Konrad Marine 715-410-0735

Don S

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

dollarten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is an estate auction this saturday with a 23' 1969 Thunderbird Iroquois in really nice original condition. I went and checked it out today, has a small block Chevrolet V8 engine and a monster size outdrive on the back. Came home to look it up and determined it is a Mercruiser Model 2. I am completely ignorant on these outdrives, did not even realize Mercruiser made any other outdrive in 69 besides the MC-1. It appears to be a low hour original, in like new condition. This boat must have spent most of it's life in a barn. Are these outdrives any good? Should I run away from it? Parts availability?
I did remeber a few of these old monsters coming into work on when no one else would even want to even winterize them They did shift from inside the boat with some sort of in and out box for foward and reverse . The also had an automotive type clutch bolted on the flywheel . For nuetral they had a 12 volt starter motor rigged up to a lever arrangment that would push in the clutch release fork so you could shift in a normal fashion like they are today It was an engineering nightmare

jcm33

Recruit
Hi all...new to the forum. Was browsing and came across this thread and it looks like a copy of what I've got going on. Picked up a 1969 Sea Ray Pachanga that came with a GM 327 and Mercruiser Model 2 (pictured above). Cool old boat and couldn't scrap it. I've pulled the Model 2 (haven't scrapped, but do not want to put back on). The transom needed to be repaired so that has been completed - I covered the hole and everything where the Model 2 came through. So basically saying I have a clean slate! I thought the 327 was cool and it runs great...was hoping to find a solid bolt-on outdrive that would attach to it. Reading this form maybe should just get engine and outdrive together...any suggestions?

Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hello jcm33 and welcome aboard.

One of our forum rules asks that threads more than 90 days old be left alone. If you have a question please start your own thread.

Thank you,

Chris
iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.