Starter for mercruiser 5.7, left hand rotation?

Samckay

Cadet
Replaced starter on 2002 mercruiser 5.7. Turns and fires but the starter continues to thrust in repeatedly. I used a rebuild from local auto store...

Apparently the mercruiser rotate opposite (left aka counterclockwise) and thus my problem.

My questions:

-does this sound like the issue? Do not want to buy another if it is not the issue.

-where to get it? As I look on the web I see most r labeled "cw" which I presume is right handed and I need Ccw. It would seem this would not be hard to find but...

Thanks

Scott

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter for mercruiser 5.7, left hand rotation?

Apparently the mercruiser rotate opposite (left aka counterclockwise) and thus my problem.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

That's the standard rotatin' direction of 'bout every motor comin' outa Detroit for the last 100 years....

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

All mercruiser stern drives use a left hand rotation (ccw) engine determined by looking at the flywheel from behind the boat. Same as in a car. Also you don't want to use a automotive starter in your boat for safety reasons. Reverse rotation are very rare.

Samckay

Cadet

Sorry to be dull on the subjEct but still not understanding. As I look at the description on the marine parts they are nearly all listed as "cw" which would seem opposite of the left rotation.

Is the auto starter I have rotating the proper direction for my boat or do I need opposite, or is it another issue I am facing? I was told the mercruiser rotates opposite of the auto version.
Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You determine the rotation of the engine AND THE STARTER by looking from the stern forward. Thus CCW engine, CW starter.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

You determine the rotation of the engine AND THE STARTER by looking from the stern forward. Thus CCW engine, CW starter.

What he said.

If you bought it as an auto part rebuild it will be the correct rotation but you need a marine starter. Hard to say why it is not working right. could be a bad key switch, solenoid or the starter. The description "standard turn" for your engine and parts will save you a lot of headache.