• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

timing 4.3 with thunderbolt ignition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing 4.3 with thunderbolt ignition

I had to change intake manifolds and now i have to check the timing. Can I simply check the timing at idle or are there different procedures with this ignition. Thanks

Re: timing 4.3 with thunderbolt ignition

Originally posted by tcline11 View Post
    I had to change intake manifolds and now i have to check the timing. Can I simply check the timing at idle or are there different procedures with this ignition. Thanks
    If it's the thunderbolt 4 ignition, you have to bypass the computer advance by grounding the purple wire lead at the distributor. Set timing and don't forget to take the grounding wire off.
    Sometimes it's more important to be human, than to have good taste. ~Brecht

Comment

Originally posted by mpdive View Post
      If it's the thunderbolt 4 ignition, you have to bypass the computer advance by grounding the purple wire lead at the distributor. Set timing and don't forget to take the grounding wire off.
      Ayuh,... With T-Bolt IV, ya just hook up the timing light, 'n shoot....

T-Bolt V needs the jumper wire to set it to base mode, then time it...
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I stand corrected. It,s the ignition amplifier that supplies advance on the 4. The 5 is grounded for base timing. I was confused for a second ,Thanks Bond-o
        Sometimes it's more important to be human, than to have good taste. ~Brecht

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I have the TB 5 ignition but it doesn,t have a purple wire on the distributor it ha s a black going to ground and 1 white with red stripe and 1 white with green stripe The only purple wire is from the coil. what do i jump and how.

Thanks again

Comment

It's not on the distributor, look up next to the carb on the starboard side. Why is it newbies never seem to think that a simple think like the year has any impact on their engine? All 4.3's are not created equal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	98f906cac6dce5ef1444fd04ac340a2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	107757
            Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I dont have this ignition, mine is IV, but... Manual says for V there is a purple and white wire in the harness, with a spade conector, between the ICM and KCM. Run to engine ground with jumper and this makes it run on base timing. Start and use timing light as usual.

Note: it also states that the carb shoud be adjusted with the engine runing on base like this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joewithaboat View Post
                I dont have this ignition, mine is IV, but... Manual says for V there is a purple and white wire in the harness, with a spade conector, between the ICM and KCM. Run to engine ground with jumper and this makes it run on base timing. Start and use timing light as usual.

Note: it also states that the carb shoud be adjusted with the engine runing on base like this as well.
                Thanks for the info I will try that in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
                  It's not on the distributor, look up next to the carb on the starboard side. Why is it newbies never seem to think that a simple think like the year has any impact on their engine? All 4.3's are not created equal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	98f906cac6dce5ef1444fd04ac340a2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	107757
                  thanks for the info. sorry for being a newbie

Comment

When I checked the timing when I grounded the purple and white wire and set it at 10 deg as it says to on the top of the carb. when I unhooked the wire and checked the timing again it was still at 10 deg. Is this correct or should it have changed. Also it idles just fine but when it gets to about 1900 rpm it starts to run bad and backfires sometimes. What else could be wrong and what should I check next. I also checked the pos side of the coil with the key on and it has the same voltage as the battery. Thanks

Comment

Did you set it into timing mode and take it out of timing mode at the right time?
                      Did you read and follow the procedure I posted earlier?
                      Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Did you set it into timing mode and take it out of timing mode at the right time?
                        Did you read and follow the procedure I posted earlier?
                        I read the instructions and the only thing i couldn't figure out is where it says to remove jumper wire from timing terminal. Is that the same as the purple and white wire for the ground if it's not the instructions never say hook up any jumper wire from the timing terminal. If it's a seperate step to do can you please explain. The engine is a 2003. Thanks

Comment

Read item 8, especially the bold part that says important.
                          Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Read item 8, especially the bold part that says important.
                            I read #8. I'm talking about #7

Comment

Step 8 seems to restate what the second part of step 7 says. And then again puts it in Bold
                              Does the timing move as rpm comes up?
                              Why was this torn apart to begin with?

Comment

Working...
                              X