Merc 165HP Inline Six - Using NON Marine Head Gasket

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a spare parts engine with a cracked block and blown HG between cyl 5 & 6. I want to patch the crack as a temp fix and also slap a HG on it and put it in a boat to make sure the boat is good. Can I use a automotive HG? This is in fresh water BTW.

I know this sounds like a waste, but it will only take about 2 hrs to remove and install the parts engine, and will buy me some time to find a good engine to work with.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 165HP Inline Six - Using NON Marine Head Gasket

Itll be fine in fresh water,esp for a short period like youre talking.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would it also be safe to assume it will be identical bolt to bolt? Meaning the automotive is not a different deck & head.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Parts stores were making it confusing. They asked about it being with integral head or without. No clue what that means. Couldn't even get one for 3-5 days so I reused the old one. It was a victor reinz and appeard to be marine. I know it is bad to reuse an old HG but it is just for a test.

The whole problem was the ex valves on cyl 6, 5, & 3 that were leaking badly. I cleaned them with a wire wheel and hand lapped them. Took forever to get the seat on the head to clean up. I beleive the seats are non hardened, so I will get the serial # to see what year it is.

If the engine is a good runner, then I will pull it all apart and transfer all the parts into a good block that is not cracked & replace all the wear items & gaskets.

Bondo

Staff member

Parts stores were making it confusing. They asked about it being with integral head or without. No clue what that means.

Ayuh,... Chevy built that head with the intake cast to it, as a single casting, is what their talkin' 'bout...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bet that is it. I can;t imagine the gasket being much differnt unless they were selling me it as a kit with other gaskets.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The head gasket for the integral and old style head are the same,the automotive style gasket will be fine in fresh water. Reusing a head gasket can be done in a pinch, I have done it and gotten away with it, I used Permatex avation form a gasket on a used 350 head gasket and it worked fine. Not something I would recomend but it can be done.