Mercruiser 140 Tilt Stop Switch in the top of the gimble housing

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on my project boat, its a 1977 Starcraft SuperSport with a Mercruiser 140. The Star Trim isnt working correctly so I started investigating. I found there is a switch located in the gimble ring assembly.
1. Is this necessary to operate the boat?
2. Is this a NO or NC switch (normally open or normally closed) switch
a. If I take the switch out of the circuit do I need to jumper the two wires togehter or leave them unhooked?
3. My tilt/trim controls are two switches and not three like the factory version. Does anyone have a schematic for a '77 Prestolite trim pump?

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 140 Tilt Stop Switch in the top of the gimble housing

View attachment 116789

Why bypass the switch vs just fixing it right? It's there to protect your outdrive for a reason, personally I can't participate in telling you exactly how to do it but here is some more "info"....ah hmmmm (the manual) you may want to take a look at. https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfOTRmODIzOGYtODAxOS00YWZjLWFmZDgtZjMxNjQxOTkzMzUz&hl=en_GB
Concerning your "two button controls"....My guess is you do still have a 3 button system like the rest of the world. Did you account for the "trailer" button? Take a look at that link, I'd say don't bypass the switch.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

VERY common for these switches to go out, and they are NLA ex Merc. The usual indication that it's failed is that the trim will work DOWN but not UP, the only way to go UP is to press the TRAILER button.

Answering you questions.

1. No.
2. N.O.
3. Jumping the wires together will allow the UP button to work, but will 'trim' the drive all the way up. Thus, as LD said, remove the protection for the drive if it's hit from the side without it being inside the gimbal ring.

Circus diagram as follows (now dual solenoid pump circuit).

attachment.php

HTH,

Chris.........

Attachments

• trim pump (800 x 473).jpg
    trim pump (800 x 473).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

VERY common for these switches to go out, and they are NLA ex Merc. The usual indication that it's failed is that the trim will work DOWN but not UP, the only way to go UP is to press the TRAILER button.

Answering you questions.

1. No.
2. N.O.
3. Jumping the wires together will allow the UP button to work, but will 'trim' the drive all the way up. Thus, as LD said, remove the protection for the drive if it's hit from the side without it being inside the gimbal ring.

Circus diagram as follows (due to you having the trim limit switch at the top of the bellhousing you will probably have the single solenoid pump circuit).

attachment.php

HTH,

Chris.........

Ah...yes. Good call sir with the single solenoid.

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2 solenoid system. If the switch is NLA from Merc is there an aftermarket version? I do indeed have a two switch system, one switch for In/Out and another for trailering. The In/Out switch is a DPDT switch with 6 connections and the trailer switch is the same.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have a 2 solenoid system. If the switch is NLA from Merc is there an aftermarket version?
No.
I do indeed have a two switch system, one switch for In/Out and another for trailering. The In/Out switch is a DPDT switch with 6 connections and the trailer switch is the same.

The IN/UP switch only needs to be SPDT and the TRAILER switch only needs to be a SPST.

I have changed the drawing in my previous post to one with 2 solenoids. Given the year of the engine if you have 2 solenoids it has been changed from original.

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found a new switch on e-bay over the winter for $50. Got it installed over the weekend and now the trim switch stops when the swich is deactivated from the lower unit raising. Works like a champ now.

The bell housing has a date stamp of 6/75 but the boat is a '77. Starcraft must have bought a few years supply back in the day.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I wonder how many of those switches are still floating around the world!?

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is at least one on ebay right now.

Pete104

Lieutenant

maybe the last one!:D