Broke Starter Bolt

remia99

Cadet
My boat is an '89 with a Merc 4.3. One of the two starter bolts broke and it would need to be backed out. In the event of this break however, it cracked the casting round the second bolt, thus making this very weak also. I've been advised that the only real repair is to replace the block. I've also been advised by auto mechanics that there are two possible ways to mount the starter to the block. I haven't been able to find any information to support this.

Any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Broke Starter Bolt

My boat is an '89 with a Merc 4.3. One of the two starter bolts broke and it would need to be backed out. In the event of this break however, it cracked the casting round the second bolt, thus making this very weak also. I've been advised that the only real repair is to replace the block. I've also been advised by auto mechanics that there are two possible ways to mount the starter to the block. I haven't been able to find any information to support this.

Any thoughts?

Ayuh,... You've heard right,...
The starter bolt pattern is determined by the flywheel diameter,...
Straight across bolts is for the 12" flywheel...
Staggered bolts is for the 14" wheel...
Then,...
Some blocks from Chevy are drilled for only 1, or the other pattern,..
And, other blocks can have Both patterns drilled, 'n tapped...

So,... What have ya got to work with,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Broke Starter Bolt

I also had the same thing on a client 4.3L engine. I used a MIG welder and just did a spot at a time. Let the area cool and then did another spot. That was several years ago, and it's still going strong.