Trying to adjust "teleflex" cable at motor end for throttle control...

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My previous problem that instigated me to buying a new cable was this... I would be running the boat (going from neutral to 3/4 & WOT on the commander 3000 that was always a little tight). I pulled the cable of the throttle and the commander was so much different (easier to shift forward & reverse). I noticed that whether you had just started the boat for the day or had been running it for several hours there was always an issue with bringing the motor to an idle with the controller. I could be warming it up at 1500 rpm or I could have just ended a run at 30 mph and in either situation I would bring the commander to neutral and it took a LONG time for the cable to return the idle lever to its idle stop point (you could visually see the cable moving ever so slowly to the idle point and/or you could help it by pulling the cable end and just forcing it to the stop). So I then went to buy some teleflex cables and replace my exisitng thinking everything is good now. I have the same problem all over again with the new cable. I did notice that I had to do a slight twist on both end of the cable whether it was on the control end or motor end. Is that normal? At the motor end I put the end cable on the throttle linkage barrel/bolt and then I spun the adjusting barrel away from the carb to match the attaching points. I started it and the motor went to 3000 roms with the new cable. I quickly shut it off and spun the barrel away from the carb to attempt the "pre-load" installation and it did seem better, but I am wondering if this is the proper way, should the cables needed to be slightly twisted to line up attachment points, *****ty aftermaket cables, or etc? Right now i have the commander bringing the idle back down from 2500 prm to 700 rpm but it still takes about 2-3 seconds after the commander is brought back to neutral. Any thoughts???

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to adjust "teleflex" cable at motor end for throttle control...

preload the cable another 3 or so turns