Mercruiser V-8 winterizing

ScubaAl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I plan on doing my own winterizing this year. Marina just charging too much. I have a 1978 Cruisers Villa Vee with twin GM V-8's raw water cooled , its also straight inboards.
My plan is to drain manifolds and block for both engines. Then remove the hose from the thru-hull and place in a bucket of RV anti-freeze. Run until it comes out the exhaust, then fog the engine til it stalls.
I'm a little concerned that with the raw water pickup hose in the pail some air will be in the system before the anti-freeze is pulled up. Is this a problem? I plan on pouring some anti-freeze into the hose before placing in the bucket, but think that would just run back into the pail.
Thoughts?

Thanks, Al

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser V-8 winterizing

Ayuh,... If ya Drain everything properly, ya really don't need the antifreeze...

Yer plan won't work so well, as the impeller pumps require a flooded entry port,...

Ya need a bucket with a hose from the Bottom...

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... If ya Drain everything properly, ya really don't need the antifreeze...

Yer plan won't work so well, as the impeller pumps require a flooded entry port,...

Bond-o Please tell us your thoughts on the freeze-ability of air...:p;):):D

ScubaAl

Seaman Apprentice

The bucket with a hose was something I was kicking around. I could set the bucket on the deck with the hose running down into the pickup hose. Maybe even put a 1/4 turn valve on the bucket to help control the mess.
I have read the posts say "air don't freeze" but I'm concerned that pulling the plugs on the block and manifold would end up leaving water somewhere I'm not aware of and cause a problem come spring. Places like the raw water pump. Keep in mind on this boat the access is limited especially on the starboard engine.

Thanks, Al

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my thought but why wouldn't you put anti freeze. Someone will tell you to replace something like a water pump because its cheap but say air doesn't freeze. My automotive background tells me that bare metal plus moisture plus air equals rust. Maybe I am stepping on toes but how much is a gallon of pink stuff to give you piece of mind. Haven't read one negative side of using it.....

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with thejeep007. Air doesn't freeze, but moist air leads to rust and rust is no good. I've been on the side of the "antifreeze, as opposed to air, to treat an engine" argument for years.What I suggest you do is open the drain ports, draining the block and the manifolds. Don't forget to clean out the gook in there with a piece or wire hanger. Pull the water circulation pump hose and the manifold hoses, drain them, and re-attach them. Pull the thermostat housing and pour anti-freeze into the block. I use the purple stuff because it will mix with any water that you might have missed and still give pretection. Then, as the antifreeze starts to flow out the various drain fittings, close the fittings. Then continue filling until the entire system is full. It might start to flow out the exhaust. Then replace the thermostat and gasket. I am assuming that before you do all this you fogged your engine and treated your fuel system. The cooling system should be the last step in your winterizing. Check the Mercruiser manual for full details. Hy

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

It's right in the Merc service manuals. They reccomend propylene glycol as part of the winterization/storage procedure