• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser V-8 winterizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser V-8 winterizing

Hello,

I plan on doing my own winterizing this year. Marina just charging too much. I have a 1978 Cruisers Villa Vee with twin GM V-8's raw water cooled , its also straight inboards.
    My plan is to drain manifolds and block for both engines. Then remove the hose from the thru-hull and place in a bucket of RV anti-freeze. Run until it comes out the exhaust, then fog the engine til it stalls.
    I'm a little concerned that with the raw water pickup hose in the pail some air will be in the system before the anti-freeze is pulled up. Is this a problem? I plan on pouring some anti-freeze into the hose before placing in the bucket, but think that would just run back into the pail.
    Thoughts?

Thanks, Al

Re: Mercruiser V-8 winterizing

Did you look at the very first sticky in this forum?

Here is it if you missed it. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358056
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
      Did you look at the very first sticky in this forum?

Here is it if you missed it. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358056
      Yes I have, along with many, many other sites. But it seems they always refer to using muffs and so on. As I have inboards and not I/O's the information I've found always leaves me with questions.

Al

Comment

Ayuh,... If ya Drain everything properly, ya really don't need the antifreeze...

Yer plan won't work so well, as the impeller pumps require a flooded entry port,...

Ya need a bucket with a hose from the Bottom...
        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
          Ayuh,... If ya Drain everything properly, ya really don't need the antifreeze...

Yer plan won't work so well, as the impeller pumps require a flooded entry port,...

Bond-o Please tell us your thoughts on the freeze-ability of air...
          86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71
          sigpic
          GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post

The bucket with a hose was something I was kicking around. I could set the bucket on the deck with the hose running down into the pickup hose. Maybe even put a 1/4 turn valve on the bucket to help control the mess.
            I have read the posts say "air don't freeze" but I'm concerned that pulling the plugs on the block and manifold would end up leaving water somewhere I'm not aware of and cause a problem come spring. Places like the raw water pump. Keep in mind on this boat the access is limited especially on the starboard engine.

Thanks, Al

Comment

Just my thought but why wouldn't you put anti freeze. Someone will tell you to replace something like a water pump because its cheap but say air doesn't freeze. My automotive background tells me that bare metal plus moisture plus air equals rust. Maybe I am stepping on toes but how much is a gallon of pink stuff to give you piece of mind. Haven't read one negative side of using it.....

Comment

I agree with thejeep007. Air doesn't freeze, but moist air leads to rust and rust is no good. I've been on the side of the "antifreeze, as opposed to air, to treat an engine" argument for years.What I suggest you do is open the drain ports, draining the block and the manifolds. Don't forget to clean out the gook in there with a piece or wire hanger. Pull the water circulation pump hose and the manifold hoses, drain them, and re-attach them. Pull the thermostat housing and pour anti-freeze into the block. I use the purple stuff because it will mix with any water that you might have missed and still give pretection. Then, as the antifreeze starts to flow out the various drain fittings, close the fittings. Then continue filling until the entire system is full. It might start to flow out the exhaust. Then replace the thermostat and gasket. I am assuming that before you do all this you fogged your engine and treated your fuel system. The cooling system should be the last step in your winterizing. Check the Mercruiser manual for full details. Hy

Comment

It's right in the Merc service manuals. They reccomend propylene glycol as part of the winterization/storage procedure

Comment

Working...
                  X