Distributor cap corrosion

desotel

Recruit
Sensor test dosnt work by the book.Unplug the two sensor wires from the sensor ,and anything less than 100 ohms between the two sensor leads and the sensor needs replacement. All i got was range error on the multimeter ,tried differant ranges but no results.This all came about when i was out 10 miles on the ocean and the motor just died twice in a row .I got it running and got back to the dock .I checked the kill switch lead .Tried wiggling wires while running (nothing).Then my service manuall had this sensor test,but it didn't work. 2001 5.7 carburated mercruiser.

desotel

Recruit
Distributor cap corrosion

My distributor cap has green corrosion on all terminals.Can you clean them with fine sand paper or replace cap? Would this cause intermittant engine stall that i had last time i was on the ocean? 2001 mercruiser 5.7 carburated. Much appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Distributor cap corrosion

Cap, rotor, and spark plugs are maintenance items called a tuneup. REPLACE them, and yes they will cause your miss.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser distributer sensor 100 ohm test

Re: Mercruiser distributer sensor 100 ohm test

Sensor test dosnt work by the book.Unplug the two sensor wires from the sensor ,and anything less than 100 ohms between the two sensor leads and the sensor needs replacement. All i got was range error on the multimeter ,tried differant ranges but no results.This all came about when i was out 10 miles on the ocean and the motor just died twice in a row .I got it running and got back to the dock .I checked the kill switch lead .Tried wiggling wires while running (nothing).Then my service manuall had this sensor test,but it didn't work. 2001 5.7 carburated mercruiser.

Donno what it might be, but I've never heard of that module stoppin' 'n restartin' to work...
When it dies, it's Dead...

I merged yer threads,...
No reason for several threads about yer No Run issue...
Please keep things together, to lower the Confusion factor...

desotel

Recruit
Re: Distributor cap corrosion

Thanks for the response,its wasn't a miss,it just died.